Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 20, 2010, 03:57 AM
    Gulf of Mexico Oil spill solution?
    This is amazing. The simple solution might be hay or straw.

Video:
    YouTube - CWRoberts Presentation 2.wmv

News:
    The Associated Press: Inventors say BP ignoring their oil spill ideas

It certainly can't hurt to try... I can't imagine why they don't.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2010, 05:38 AM

I like the giant shower curtain idea.:rolleyes: I also hear they are collecting hair and pantyhose for the cleanup.
    10,000 fixes people have proposed to counter the growing environmental threat. BP is taking a closer look at 700 of the ideas.
    We are in unchartered territory here . The closest comparison I can come up with is the Apollo 13 mission. If it appears that much of this is winging it ,it's because it is winging it. Working at the depth is pretty much like landing on the dark side of the moon.

When all is said and done ,procedures will be established to deal with the next one based on the lessons learned from this one.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2010, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    This is amazing. The simple solution might be hay or straw.

Video:
    YouTube - CWRoberts Presentation 2.wmv

News:
    The Associated Press: Inventors say BP ignoring their oil spill ideas

It certainly can't hurt to try... I can't imagine why they don't.
    Truly innovative, I wonder how they know about this characteristic, but it could be flown out and dropped but have they tested it with raw crude in salt water? And does it mop up the under surface oil?

A great idea for oil absorbent booms
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 20, 2010, 09:15 PM

Hay, who would have thought? Like he said, green, available and maybe burned some of the energy from the lost oil could be recovered.
    Thanks

G&P
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2010, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I like the giant shower curtain idea.:rolleyes: I also hear they are collecting hair and pantyhose for the cleanup.
    I saw that story. Actually it was just a photo showing someone getting a haircut for the Gulf, but they really are doing just that and have their own demo. I think they need to see the hay demo...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 08:11 AM

Hello:

Doncha just LOVE the Republican reason why we shouldn't raise the cap BP has to pay to clean up the mess, to $10 billion, from $75 million. If we DID raise the cap, they say, then the mom and pop oil companies would be shut out of the drilling... What??

Uhhhh, isn't that what we WANT? Wouldn't it be good to only let drillers drill, who can AFFORD to pay for their mistakes?? No? If the Republicans want mom and pop drillers, who CAN'T pay for their cleanup, whose going to be left to BAIL 'EM OUT? I thought Republicans HATED taxpayer bailouts... But, I guess if its for big oil, bailouts are cool. I understand.

excon
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2010, 08:22 AM

Ex, you sure have a way of digging all kinds of BS out of nothing.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    ex, you sure have a way of digging all kinds of BS out of nothing.
    Hello again, Steve:

Before this spill, had I mentioned it as a possibility, you would have made the same accusation.

The only possible basis for your accusation, is your disbelief that another oil spill of this magnitude could happen. Otherwise, you WOULD only want drillers who could pay for their mistakes... Wouldn't you??

It's that, OR you're perfectly willing to have the TAXPAYER pay for the cleanup that the driller CAN'T afford, and you KNOW he can't afford.

Tell me where I'm wrong.

excon
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2010, 08:59 AM

Silly me, I thought I was just commenting on the technology of hair booms and hay as oil sorbents. I was really talking about all that other stuff?
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 09:08 AM

BP should not get any money from the government.
    BP should pay serious fines for every MINUTE that this oil keeps spilling into the Gulf.
    BP should do SOMETHING (paid for from their own abundant coffers) about this problem NOW, instead of just yacking about "potential solutions".

Isn't this what every American Taxpayer and decent person should be saying now?
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2010, 09:11 AM

Anyway, I thought it was Cheney's fault.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 09:23 AM

At the risk of starting a new subject:

Every regime here in America wants to blame the last one(s) for the problems.

Let's stop that crap now and demand (with our votes and letters and emails to our congresspeople) that the people in power NOW change it.

If we don't do that then we are destined to repeat the same old sheet over and over again.
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2010, 09:32 AM

I forgot to engage the sarcasm font on that last post. But to engage Obama's favorite phrase, let me be clear - I blame current and future problems on the current regime.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 09:37 AM
    Isn't this what every American Taxpayer and decent person should be saying now??
    Hello again, Rick:

I can't speak for the decent people, but us taxpayers are on board.

excon
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2010, 09:56 AM

BP should do SOMETHING (paid for from their own abundant coffers) about this problem NOW, instead of just yacking about "potential solutions".
    If there was an immediate fix don't you think they would've employed it by now ? They are in the business of pumping oil into tankers and pipelines .They don't make any money from having the oil spill all over the sea floor .

It's not like they haven't tried anything . One attempt failed completely and the most recent one has had a degree of success. What they haven't done is completely shut off the breach.
    I am 100% sure it is not for lack of trying . Wouldn't you at least admit that this is quite an engineering challenge ?
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 10:06 AM
    Wouldn't you at least admit that this is quite an engineering challenge ?
    Hello again, tom:

Further evidence of our complete unreadiness for such an event. This should have been anticipated and planned for. SOMEBODY should have asked about it? What happens if we can't EVER get it to stop? What happens if the entire contents of the oil field spill?

Don't tell me I'm creating BS out of nothing. That absolutely could happen.

excon
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Rick:
    I can't speak for the decent people, but us taxpayers are on board.
    excon
    Don't mix sarcasm or joking with truth in the same sentence. Many of us know you but you should know that there are thousands who read your posts who don't know you.

I, and those who have seen many of your posts know you better than that, Excon: You are a good (aka decent) person and a taxpayer.

... so I must presume that you agree with the quoted line unless you say "I disagree because..." ;)
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2010, 10:23 AM

I don't disagree the possibility exists. Anticipate ? I'm sure they did ,and all the safeguards employed to prevent it failed.

When the Apollo 13 blew a tank in space NASA engineers effectively winged it and created a fix that thankfully worked .There was no manual describing step by step procedures for what to do if the safety systems failed .If their duct tape solutions hadn't worked the mission would've been an unanticipated disaster .
    I'm sure after the fact they redesigned the Apollo craft to have standard size filtration systems as I'm sure AFTER this procedures will be adopted and stricter regulatory oversight employed .

There are plenty of what if questions that needs answering later . I think there should be a concerted effort now at plugging the leak instead of finger pointing .
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 10:25 AM
    unless you say "I disagree because..." ;)
    Hello again, Rick:

I don't disagree... But, Dude! You're ruining my street cred.. ;)

Ex
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 10:30 AM
    I don't disagree the possibility exists.
    Hello again, tom:

How big is the oilfield? Sometimes I make noise. But, when YOU concur, I get worried.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gasoline/oil spill [ 2 Answers ]

I spilled a gasoline oil mix for a chainsaw in the trunk of my car. The whole car smell like gasoline and oil. How do I get the gas /oil and the smell out of my car?

Now that the Gulf of Mexico is ruined... [ 69 Answers ]

I'm concerned that in addition to allowing millions of gallons of oil to pour into the water, BP is also adding undisclosed amounts of chemical dispersant, which may or may not be even worse than the oil. I am concerned that this disaster is going to be swept out into the Atlantic and possibly...

Oil spill petrol mower [ 5 Answers ]

I foolishly tipped my lawnchief 420 on its side to carry out a minor repair to the guide plate. I think I may have spilled the oil into the carb. Now the mower struggles to start. It will start if I persist. I have removed the spark plug cleaned it using a dry lube solvent. Cleaned the plug and set...

Oil Spill on cement [ 4 Answers ]

How do I clean up an oil spill on the driving pad at my condo.

Persian Gulf Oil Spill [ 4 Answers ]

I'm doing a small report on the oil spill. The persian gulf oil spill. I've a few questions. What caused the spill? What was the effect? If anyone knows, please help. Thanks.

View more questions Search