Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    that1lady Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2010, 12:21 AM
    Who has gone to mexico on probation
    Has anyone from the USA travaled to mexico while on probation? I want to know how customs works when you come back to the us.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 20, 2010, 05:20 AM

Are you allowed to travel while on probation, particularly out of the US?

If not you will probably be stopped on your way out of the Country and into Mexico.

Customs will ask you how long you were gone and what you have to declare (if you are talking about the Customs arm and not Homeland Security).

May 20, 2010, 10:02 AM
    I would like to here from people who have actually traveled to mexico on probation. I am on unsupervised probation. My probation officer is a answering machine.

May 20, 2010, 10:02 AM
    I would like to here from people who have actually traveled to mexico on probation. I am on unsupervised probation. My probation officer is a answering machine.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 20, 2010, 10:44 AM

Hello that:

I'm about the only person around here who comes close to who you're looking for, and I haven't traveled without permits when I was on probation.

I HAVE traveled to Mexico, though, and not long ago too. So, here's what I have to say about your situation. IF your PO is an answering machine, call and leave your message about your travel plans. If you can, TAPE your end of the call. Then write them a certified letter, return receipt requested, confirming what you said on the machine.

If you don't hear back, go to Mexico. You're not questioned by the US when you leave. Mexico will spend a minutes with you if you don't already have your tourist permit, but that's all they care about.

It's when you come back that you'll be looked at. Now, if your probation people didn't get the message, or got it and didn't care about it, you'll be cool. But, if they DID, and they DIDN'T like it, you could be in for a rude awakening at customs.

I don't think you're going to find any guarantee that you won't be arrested if you go WITHOUT written permission. Do you feel lucky?

excon
    Uber Member

May 20, 2010, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by that1lady View Post
    I would like to here from people who have actually traveled to mexico on probation. I am on unsupervised probation. my probation officer is a answering machine.

I'm ex-US Customs so what I know and have to say has some value.

Just so you know. I'm not asking for more info because I have free time on my hands.

May 20, 2010, 11:31 AM
    How does customs know what the conditions of my probation are. It doesn't specifically say that I'm not allowed to leave the country.

May 20, 2010, 11:33 AM

I also just applied for my passport and they sent it to me with no problems.
    Uber Member

May 20, 2010, 11:38 AM

Hello again, that:

Bien viajo (have a nice trip).

excon
    kaskas1066 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2010, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by that1lady View Post
    Has anyone from the USA travaled to mexico while on probation? I want to know how customs works when you come back to the us.
    Did you get your answer?? Did you go to Mexico while on probation? If so, what happened? Thanks.. I would like to know for myself. I am on probation as well...
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2010, 09:22 AM

Hello k:

She's on UNSUPERVISED probation... That might be different than you, so the advice she got, may not be applicable to you.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 4, 2010, 09:24 AM

Ok, anyone can get a passport , it is merely a ID, the permission to leave the country and VISA if needed is a totally different thing.

And on probation, you will need permission to travel first even out of your state, and next for sure to travel out of the US>

If you don't get that permission, you risk going to jail for the period of your probation.
    A large risk for a trip?

So call, get them to call you back and set up an appoint to go in and see them.

There is a person at the other end of that phone

Sep 4, 2010, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello k:

She's on UNSUPERVISED probation... That might be different than you, so the advice she got, may not be applicable to you.

excon
    My PO will let me go.. I just wanted to knowif she got a hard time at customs... (I have a misdeamonr, everything is paid off, everything is completed) I have hear that customs do not know about your probation... unless you have VOP, and there is a warrant out for your arrest... I just don't want to get a hard time at customs
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2010, 09:57 AM

Hello again, k:

If your PO will let you go, then you can get WRITTEN permission. If customs says ANYTHING, whip out your permit. That's all.

I think you're right, though. They would only know about it IF there was a warrant out.

excon

Sep 4, 2010, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, k:

If your PO will let you go, then you can get WRITTEN permission. If customs says ANYTHING, whip out your permit. That's all.

I think you're right, though. They would only know about it IF there was a warrant out.

excon
    THanks for your input...
    Jordan29 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2012, 09:51 PM
    I would like to know the answer to this question also. One person in our group is on felony probation. Would she have problems on our cruise if she goes with out permission?
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2012, 05:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan29 View Post
    I would like to know the answer to this question also. One person in our group is on felony probation. Would she have problems on our cruise if she goes with out permission?

In a word - yes, if leaving the State or Country is forbidden by the terms of her probation.

She gets stopped, she goes to jail.
    Boricua721 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 06:00 AM
    I understand a lot of you guys are looking for people that have gone to Mexico while on probation, but you may not find the testimonies you want to hear. For example, there could have been a lot of people to go and get caught, but then they're in jail or prison. I'm on felony probation, and I get along with my PO... but not with the judge. I have asked about going to Mexico, but my PO said I have to go through the judge for that. I am at the end of my probation, I paid everything, did all the classes, paid all the fines, and I have had no violations. I want to go to Mexico because that's where my fiancé lives and he is the father of my kids... trust me, I have thought of just going, but its really not worth the risk. I would much rather have my probation over, and not have to worry about getting caught. Also, I'm not sure how Customs works... of course if anything the best way to go would be by bus (since I have gone), but before you leave they do go through your luggage, and they ask for your info and passport, and they look you up on a system... but I am not exactly sure what they are looking for. I do not think they would get a hit if you were on probation... but you never know... they may not do anything, but your PO might. My advice would be to be patient. I have not seen my fiancé for a long time, and he has not even been able to have the chance to hold our daughter, but I do not want to risk going to jail for something I could have waited to do.
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2012, 06:11 AM
    US Customs (now Homeland Security) is looking for illegal activity such as smuggling. And, yes, they "look you up on a system" - they are also looking for criminal records and that includes probation. It's an International computer system.

Yes, you CAN get hit if you're on probation.

I don't understand why the best way would be by bus. Maybe Homeland Security isn't worried about terrorists on a bus?

Why doesn't your fiancé come to the US if you can't go to Mexico?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Felon technically finished probation go to Mexico [ 7 Answers ]

I'm a felon who is just now finishing my supervised probation. I was told by the p.o. that once I was on unsupervised, I could go to any country for vacation without notice. I will get my notification in the mail, but I will not need it to travel. I already have my passport, it was not revoked or...

Getting a Mexico Passport [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US citizen married to a mexican citizen who is not yet legal in the U.S. I would like to bring my 16 year old niece here to visit from Mexico. How to I go about getting here a passport to come and visit?

Cocktails in Mexico [ 2 Answers ]

If tequilla is not your favorite liquor - what drinks do you suggest to order at an all inclusive resort in cabo san lucas? Thank you

Will I be able to go to Mexico? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a stay of proceedings for theft under 5000 on my record, from sept. 2008 and Im flying directly from canada to mexico, will I be turned down at the gates? Or will I be able to continue on my vacation? I just don't know the mexican policies on stay of proceedings. Thanks for any feedback

Moving to Mexico [ 11 Answers ]

Am I still required to file a tax return in the US if I earn less than $25000 and live in mexico full time.

View more questions Search