Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2010, 11:49 PM
    Am I wrong?
    I want to make sure I'm understanding my insurance correctly. My car is registered to me and my uncle. I have my own insurance policy. My boyfriend, who is not on my ypolicy, wants to take my car across the state for a weekend trip because my car gets better gas mileage than his. I keep telling him no because he isn't on my insurance policy and if anything happened him and my car wouldn't be covered because he's not on my policy. He keeps insisting that doesn't matter. Also, the truck he normally drives is under his father's policy. I'm not sure that my boyfriend is even on that policy or if it's just his dad's name on it, or if any of that even matters.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 20, 2010, 12:11 AM

The car is usually insured, however their may be age restrictions as to who can drive your car with permission and be insured. Could even be, for example, that no one under 25 unless specifically insured, can drive your vehicle. 25 is a typical age.

Insurance companies then add some household rules. Having 3 cars, 2 adults and one teenager, the teenager would be insured under the most expensive vehicle even if the teenager doesn't drive it.

Motor vehicle makes sure the registration and insurance names match.

You can even be in a situation where two family members have two cars and insured by two different policies from the same insurance company under two different names, but share a multi-car discount.

If he gets into an accident and it's his fault, your rates go up. If the car gets totaled, your without a car.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 20, 2010, 12:21 AM
    When I worked for State Farm 1,000 years ago, as long as the policy holder gave permission, the driver and your car would be covered, plus his own insurance may follow him in your car.

Check with your insurance agent. Also, your boyfriend should check with his company.
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2010, 08:06 AM

OK. Thank you
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2010, 11:03 AM

I'm starting to wonder if this would be more fitting in the relationship forum...

I told him we would both have to call our insurance companies and he confirmed my suspicion that he's not even actually listed on his father's insurance, only his brother is. His brother would be traveling with him. He says if anything happens he'll just use his brothers driver's license. Isn't that fraud? He says it isn't. I'm pretty darn sure it is. And I'm pretty sure my insurance company wouldn't like it.

The more I think about this the more it seems like a bad idea all around. Why won't his dad put him on his insurance? He's got a bunch of speeding tickets and he rear ended someone last year. My boyfriend insists that nothing will go wrong, he won't get in an accident. Like anyone actually plans to ever get in an accident...

Plus, last time he went on a trip, he lied to me about when he was coming back. He told me he would be back on a Thursday because we had a bunch of plans that weekend. The whole time he was telling me he'd be back on Thursday, he was telling his mother he'd stay with her until Sunday. So this time he tells me he'll just be visiting her for the weekend, but after last time I have no way of knowing how long her really intends to stay with her.

He says I'm just being mean and selfish. I feel like I'm protecting myself from getting into any trouble with my insurance company and saving myself a lot of stress. I'd be totally stressed out worrying about if my car was OK the whole time he was gone. I don't do well with stress. So maybe I am being a tiny bit selfish there. But I don't feel like it's fair for him to pressure me so much to do something I think is a bad idea. Is that so wrong of me? Am I just being mean?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 20, 2010, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55 View Post
    he says i'm just being mean and selfish.
    HE is being mean and selfish.

It would definitely be illegal for him to pass himself off as his brother (with the driver's license). His father must have a good reason not to list him on the insurance.

I say do not let him use your car.
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2010, 11:39 AM

Thank you. I needed some reassurance that I wasn't just being mean.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2010, 09:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    The car is usually insured, however their may be age restrictions as to who can drive your car with permission and be insured. Could even be, for example, that no one under 25 unless specifically insured, can drive your vehicle. 25 is a typical age.

Insurance companies then add some household rules. Having 3 cars, 2 adults and one teenager, the teenager would be insured under the most expensive vehicle even if the teenager doesn't drive it.

You can even be in a situation where two family members have two cars and insured by two different policies from the same insurance company under two different names, but share a multi-car discount.

If he gets into an accident and it's his fault, your rates go up. If the car gets totaled, your without a car.
    NOT REALLY SURE WHAT MOST OF THIS HAS TO DO WITH THE QUESTION AND A GOOD BIT OF IT IS INCORRECT...

If you give him permission to drive your car, then you are taking on the risk; the added liability that you could be sued as the owner of the vehicle for an accident that he caused. It's best that you notify your company that he will be borrowing your car for an extended period. But if he won't be driving your car regularly, it shouldn't be necessary to add him to your policy (according to your state's laws). So check with your local agent!

If he does cause an accident and the company wasn't notified beforehand of the extended trip, they have the right to deny your claim - so I'd suggest giving them a call before the trip.

Now if he's a risky driver I'd just tell him "no". The accident surcharge follows the driver not the car. So IF he does have an accident, you're still looking at having to meet your deductible (and possibly fight to get him to pay it). Now in the case where he's not listed on another policy and he causes an accident - then unless you can provide proof that he has a policy elsewhere, he'd automatically get added to your policy. That's when you could face a rate increase - the surcharge for the accident that he had while driving your car causes him to be listed on your policy.

Bottom line: sounds like you don't feel comfortable letting him drive your car, so don't. Let him get mad. But then at least you don't have to worry about all this. I do agree with the last thing KISS said, you'd be the one without a car because you were too worried about hurting his feelings.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 07:36 AM

All of this is true. First hand experience.

I GET MULTI-CAR DISCOUNT AND MY MOM AND I HAVE SEPARATE POLICIES.

WHEN I WAS A TEENAGER, I HAD TO BE INSURED BASED ON THE MOST EXPENSIVE VEHICLE.

WHEN YOU RENT A CAR THERE IS A MINIMUM AGE LIMIT REQUIRED WITHOUT PAYING A HIGHER PREMIUM. IN FACT, YOU NEED TO PAY MORE IF THERE WILL BE ANOTHER DRIVER.

THE REGISTRATION AND INSURANCE INFORMATION MUST MATCH THE INSURED BASED ON A SINGLE POLICY. Not necessarily when a teenaged driver is added.

Yes, it was superfulous information but related.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2010, 09:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post

Yes, it was superfulous information but related.
    Yes, most of it was superfluous and a lot of it was incorrect. Insurance laws are state-specific so be aware of that before you state the info as "fact". Also, what applied when you were a kid (however long ago that was) seems to have changed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baby Mama Drama & Was I Wrong, & Was My Boyfriend Wrong? [ 31 Answers ]

3 threads merged and edited baby mama drama, all messed up! Ok, Me and my boyfriend started going together on August 1st 2007, on September 27th 2007 the girl he dealt with before we got together called him and told him she was pregnant and that the baby might be his but she didn't know if...

Am I wrong? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently have been getting really close to one of my friends, everyone's been saying we look really cute together we should get together bla bla bla. I guess you could say I like him too but not enough to want a relationship with him. He told be about 6 months ago that he liked me and I told him...

I need some one to tell me what's wrong and if any thing is wrong [ 12 Answers ]

My Partner And Me Have Been Having Sex For A Year Already But For 3 Months He Has Done It With Out A Condom And I Have Not Gotten Pregnant And We Really Want To Be Parents. What Is Wrong?:(

Am I wrong to think way? [ 5 Answers ]

Okay so here is my problem. I see my boyfriend everyday and I'v been going out with him for a year now. Im always with him and I bring him everywhere with me. In the beginning of the relationship I always wanted to be with him and if he couldn't go somewer with me then I wouldn't go. But Lately...

Wrong place at wrong time [ 11 Answers ]

Hello all Would like you r insight for my sister and her husband. They were recently arrested for murder in the 1st degree and conspiracy to commit robbery. They both claim that they were not going to rob the guy whom was an ex roommate but ask him for the money they felt he owed them when a friend...

View more questions Search