Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rplass_66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2010, 06:16 AM
    What causes a zero turn mower to lose battery charge
    I have a john deere z425 zero turn mower. It does not seem to hold a charge. Each time I stop and/or turn the mower off I have to jump start it. When using the mower I can usually make a couple of trips around my lot and it cuts off without warning. I can connect a portable charger for 5 minutes or so and it will start again but after a couple more trips it cuts off. What could the problem be? Dandridge Equipment, my John Deere dealer has been out twice to "repair" the problem but they don't seem to be able to solve it. Now they've hauled it to their shop and tell me they are backed up and it will be 2-3 weeks before they can get to it. I need my mower NOW and it seems to me that they are the experts and should have the solution quickly. Can anyone make any suggestion?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 19, 2010, 06:52 AM

I would switched out the battery or take the battery to an automotive store and have it load tested. Do that first just to eliminate the battery as the problem
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

May 19, 2010, 12:34 PM

Hi,
    I agree to test the battery, but it sounds as if the chargine system is not working, the electric PTO clutch is draining the battery and then the fuel shutoff solenoid closes stopping the engine.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    pamower Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2012, 05:42 PM
    Same problem... Have gone through three batteries... now ride around with a 'Die Hard' jumpered to the terminals just to get my lawn done. Also replaced voltage regulator, plugs and the reg. maintenance [kit]. Only 86hrs on this unit... so disappointed. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks
    misterkrazy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2014, 04:17 PM
    I just bought one of these mowers from a guy and he was having the same problem, the voltage regulator on the back of the motor was up plugged and not charging the mower while it was running

May 15, 2014, 04:35 PM
    When I answered this question Obama was not President.
    Karkidd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2016, 06:53 PM
    I had this same problem for two seasons. Replaced regulator, made no difference. I finally got out a meter and found a voltage drop over the 20 amp charge fuse. The fuse box on this mower is a joke. Cut the two wires out of the fuse block and install a good quality fuse holder from your auto supply. Install a new 20 amp fuse and now you have proper charging at the battery. Mine has been working properly for two years now. Hope this helps. Karkidd...

Apr 7, 2016, 07:07 PM
    Always check the dates, this problem was from 6 years ago

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My sears riding mower battery will not charge [ 0 Answers ]

Sears DLT 3000 18.5 hp riding mower will not recharge new battery.

Lawn mower does not charge battery [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Like so many, I have a John Deere 260 mower. Battery does not charge. Replaced the $62 regulator. Then the $100 stator today. I put in a new John Deere battery exactly one year ago. I looked at it today. I see whatever the problem is, smoked the battery, as in one cell dry and the rest low....

Murray riding mower will not charge battery [ 8 Answers ]

We have a 2003 15.5 HP Murray Riding Lawn Mower that does not charge the battery. We have checked all connections and grounding points which did make a noticeable difference. We have installed a new starter solenoid, correctly. We have a good 14 volts dc output from the stator but only 10 volts...

Snapper Mower will not hold battery charge [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 16.5 HP snapper riding mower with a key start up switch. The batter would not hold a charge so I replaced with a new one. It started fine the first time, but after cutting grass once and then parking it for a week the mower won't start again, plugged a battery charger to it and started it...

View more questions Search