Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aesthetic9 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2010, 02:04 AM
    Internet business is asking for a scan of driver's license before they buy from me.
    [I'm not sure if this is the correct area of the forum for this question, but it seems to fit.]

I have recently decided to stop playing World of Warcraft and have looked for places to sell my account to. I've found 2 that seem fairly respectable.

Toonstorm.com and epicmmo.com

However, both are asking for a scanned image of my driver's license in order to complete the sale. They say they need my driver's license in order to verify that I am the original owner of the account (which I am).

Toonstorm has a Better Business Bureau rating of A- with the length of time the business has been in operation being the reason for the rating.

I've spent some time on Google searching up some information on driver's license identity theft and it's been enough to scare me.

My question is this: Should I be worried about sending them an image of my driver's license? What information from my driver's license would allow them to steal my identity?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 19, 2010, 07:41 AM

It is illegal for you to scan your driver's license!! That's just for starters. And if anyone is asking for this scan you can bet your bottom dollar they are a SCAM. Do not under any circumstances scan your driver's license and send it to them. You would be leaving yourself open to worse than identity theft if you did.

Find someone else to sell your account to that does not want such ID proof.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SS Card Name vs. Driver's License # Name [ 1 Answers ]

I am working in the payroll dept, but the human resource department is confusing me... Please help... If a new employee provides you with a driver's license with one name and a social security card with a different last name, am I legally bound to make her check out to a certain one? Also, if...

Driver's license requirements [ 1 Answers ]

What was the first state in the U.S. to require a photograph on its driver's license?

Driver's License? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 16 and My b-day was during September and now its April and I still haven't gotten my license! Almost everyone in my grade has it and I'm sick of people saying that its amazing. I really want to know if the drivers test is hard? What should I really work on? Please HELP:confused: :confused: :o...

Driver's License [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, My name is Sylvester I am from Chicago, a new comer to Atlanta Georgia I need a drivers license in Georgia, my license was suspended in Chicago Illinois.

How to get driver's license [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a canadian citizen living in the states. How can I get a driver's license when I don't have a social security card?

View more questions Search