Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikefrizzle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2010, 12:28 AM
    Connecting red black tan and wires to ceiling fan with blue black green and white wir
    How to connect red black tan and wires to ceiling fan with blue black green and white wires
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 19, 2010, 07:08 AM

I do not know what you have coming to the box in the house but I can tell you about the fan wires. White is a common neutral for both fan and light. Black is the hot for the fan while blue is hot for the light. Green is grounding for everything. I wish you box wires were red,black and white which makes more sense to me. Black is/should be the hot. Red could be another hot from a second switch but now I am starting to guess, not a good thing to guess with 120 vac. Test those wires in the box and determine what they are
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 24, 2010, 10:54 AM

Black-black
    Red-blue
    Tan-white

Try that and report back.

Ceiling Fan Wiring, Ceiling Fan Wiring Technical Help, Do it Yourself (DIY) - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not remote have white and black and from fan white black and blue fan works no light [ 3 Answers ]

Have black and white wires from fan to ceiling lost remote connected white and black have fan no lights what to do to get lights

Ceiling electrical box only has red and black wires (no white or ground) [ 12 Answers ]

The ceiling electrical box in my kids bedroom only has a single red and single black wire, but nothing else (no white wire, no bare copper ground wire, not even a grounding nut). I bought a ceiling light fixture which has the standard black, white and copper wires (hot, neutral, ground), but I've...

How to install a ceiling fan with only a black, blue and white wire no green [ 2 Answers ]

How to install a ceiling fan with only a blue, blac, and white wire with no green, the ceiling has a bare or copper wire, a red, white, and black wire

Replacing a ceiling fan with fixture that only has black & white wires [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing a ceiling fan and there is a red, black and white wire in the ceiling box. It appears the switch is connected to the black (top connection) & red (bottom connection) on the light switch. The ceiling fixture only has a black & white wires. When I connect black to black and white...

Blue, Black and White wires in celing fan [ 2 Answers ]

I removed a ceiling fan to replace a switch but did not note the wires. Now I want to replace the fan but find it has Blue, Black and White wires, whereas the wires coming from the ceiling are only White and Black. It also has a green wire attached to the casing. Does the blue and black wire...

View more questions Search