Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilwild168 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2010, 12:13 AM
    Is this Slander, How do I help?
    If an employer accuses an employee of distibuting or selling drugs in his office and makes the accusation in front of many other employees in the middle of an employee meeting without proof is that slander? What should the person accused do?
    In the middle of a fit regarding sales the owner of the company I work for fired one employee for "being high" and accused another of supplying drugs to the office. He yelled at the woman in front of everyone. She is a mom and is scared to quit because she is afraid of fighting for unemployment. He did not provide any proof or even take action against her but he did make this statement in front of all of us and I know its not right but is it slander?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 19, 2010, 03:19 AM

Sounds like he lost it and doesn't like her much, but yes, accusations as bad as that in front of a group of people is slander. She has the ultimate proof that it is, if anyone there will come forward to be her witness, but will they stand up for her and lose their jobs as well? Big question if you think she should take it a little further.

Tick
    lilwild168 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2010, 11:00 AM

Would a voicemail using faul langage from another manager just days later be able to beused to prove at the least harassment?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 19, 2010, 01:43 PM

Why is all of this being directed at her ? Yes, a voice mail can be used, but why are two managers involved in this ?

Do they have proof that she was the one dealing the drugs in the office ?

Sorry, but without further information, this is getting confusing.

Tick
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 19, 2010, 01:54 PM

Hello lil:

It IS slander, but her boss fell into his own trap... She needs to relax...

If, of course, she was selling drugs, the reasonable thing for an employer to do is fire her and call the cops. This guy didn't fire her. He didn't even fire her AFTER he made the accusation. Those actions PROVE that he made it all up, and slandered her.

However, in order to WIN a slander lawsuit, the plaintiff has to show damages. Here's the kicker. As long as she stays employed, she has no damages. If she gets FIRED, she'd have BIG damages. So, it looks to me, that because she WAS slandered, her job is GUARANTEED.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this slander [ 2 Answers ]

I have a family member who goes into public forum and says things about me,she does not use my name. But I can tell by comments they are about me. In the last one she used my place of employment, how do I get her to stop. I have ask to stop this but is still happening . Thanks

Would this be Slander ? [ 6 Answers ]

Just before christmas I ran into a problem with a so called friend. I was having problems with my boyfriend and was in the process of moving out into a ne apartment next door to her( the friend ). I was back and forth with whether I was going to do it because we have been together for 13 years....

Slander [ 8 Answers ]

Does another employee telling my supervisor that I should not be allowed to oversee a children's workshop that my company hosts because she feels I am drunk constitute libel or slander? This person knows nothing about my lifestyle. I have never socialized with this person or any other person in the...

Is this slander [ 29 Answers ]

I wrote the following letter to a neighbour after she took me to court for racism. It was totally untrue and I didn't win my appeal either. This neighbour made my life a misery for 2 years. I bit my lip for so long. After receiving a criminal record now, I wrote the letter but also sent it to our...

Does anyone know if this is this slander? [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and I are in the midst of a divorce. He abruptly walked out on me on in December of 2005. I have a ton of circumstancial evidence proving that he is seeing another woman. He is currently residing with his friend and his friend's wife. The wife of his friend is related to his mistress. ...

View more questions Search