Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lavenderly Posts: 88, Reputation: 23

May 18, 2010, 10:34 PM
    Can't get along with co-workers
    I've been working in a small firm for less than half a year. There are only 6 employees here, including me. Some of them are on part time basis.

Given the few of us here, there is no strict hierarchy. But everyone is very respectful of the boss who is over 60 years old. The rest of my colleagues are in their 30s but I am the only one who is in my 20s.

During lunch time, all 5 of them go for lunch together with the boss and never bother asking me to join them. I know they talk about serious work stuff during lunch, some things that I may not yet understand since I am quite new here.

But it feels lousy to be left alone in the office, not even given a glance by the rest of them (more so since my desk is very visible every time you walk to the entrance). My job scope is almost similar to the rest, if not more. Therefore, this is NOT the case of "oh, she's the photocopier girl".

A few of my colleagues used to ask me to join them if the boss is not around for lunch. But now they are more comfortable ignoring me. If the boss is around, then I know for sure that my chances of having a lunch mate is ZERO!

Should I quit my job? Should I braven myself and shamelessly ask them why they don't want me to join them for lunch? Should I just stick to the idea of being "new" hence I am not expected to have friends?

P.S. We work perfectly well together when it comes to formal work. No nonsense or gossips shared. I just want to feel more human and less of a robot who produces efficient work performance.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 18, 2010, 11:00 PM
    I'm the kind of person who would ask -- pick out a coworker who has been nice to me and is always friendly. I certainly wouldn't quit. Maybe they go to Hooters for lunch and think you would be uncomfortable. It's hard to break into a boys' club. Maybe a male expert will see this and give his two cents.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 19, 2010, 07:12 AM

Quiting a job because you aren't invited to lunch is not a great idea in this economy. Most folks would be thankful to just have a job. Long ago, when you were invited to lunch, did you go and how was it. Have you ever invited any of them to lunch with you? Might be a time to try that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's up with Mean Co-Workers? [ 5 Answers ]

I just started a job and for the first week this guy named "Jim" trained me. He also works in the same area and I see him daily. At first I got the impression that he was laid back and enjoyed joking around and what not, as long as we also stayed on task. We'd have conversations about whatever...

1099 Workers [ 2 Answers ]

Are they eligible for unemployment insurance?

Workers Compensation [ 5 Answers ]

I was just curious as to WHY there is absolutely no topic/forum on this big bureaucratic mess? I can't imagine that nobody has dealt with it in some way or another but I can find nothing, nadda zip on the subject anywhere on this board?

Enough Workers for Salary? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: I work in retail in a meat dept. and there is only three of us working. My manager is on salary, one full timer, and one parter. Is it legal for my Manager to be on salary?

Co-Workers? [ 16 Answers ]

All right easy question... Asking out people you work with, rules, thoughts? I go to different locals all the time as a Tech, but I have a few select girls I'd like to ask out, but what are the rules? How forward should one be about it? In a less formal situation I got it down but when...

View more questions Search