Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andimae Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2010, 10:12 AM
    Adverse possession Texas
    I have a friend that has let a ex-girlfriend stay w/ him due to she was down on her luck. Now after 3 months she is refusing to leave. Saying that she is going to claim "squatters rights" because she has been getting mail there in her name. That is not considered "squatters rights" is it?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 18, 2010, 10:15 AM

No. He needs to evict her according to Texas law.

She HAS established herself as a tenant.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 18, 2010, 10:16 AM
    There's no such thing as squatter's rights anymore. It has been replaced by the law of adverse possession. Your friend doesn't have to worry about his ex getting ownership by adverse possession because the required time is a lot longer than 3 months.

However your friend can't just lock her out. She has established residence and has to be treated as a tenant even if she's never paid a penny in rent. He has to give her a written notice terminating her tenancy and then file a lawsuit for eviction if she hasn't moved out within the required time. (The time for terminating her tenancy is probably at least 30 days but I haven't had a chance to check yet.)
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 18, 2010, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    There's no such thing as squatter's rights anymore. It has been replaced by the law of adverse possession.
    Actually, it's just a difference in terminology. SR is the coloquial term for AP. In any case, as Lisa indicated, AP doesn't apply.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 18, 2010, 12:28 PM

Here is the law:

"1. The notice to vacate

If a landlord alleges a tenant is not paying rent, the Landlord is required by law to give the tenant written notice to vacate the premises. This notice can be delivered to the tenant personally with a witness, by certified mail (return receipt requested) or by any other method allowed by law. Unless your lease specifically states otherwise, the law requires you to deliver the written notice, and then wait three days before filing your suit in Justice Court. This is a legal requirement which must be met and cannot be overlooked.

2. Filing the Suit

You must file an original petition with the Court and pay court costs of $72 (subject to change). These court costs pay for filing your suit, your court hearing, and for the Constable to serve the citation. The citation is the notice to the tenant that you are attempting to evict him."

Texas Landlord Tenant Rent Law Security Deposit Evictions

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adverse Possession in TEXAS [ 5 Answers ]

These people sold us some land about 8 years ago, we found that the 'quit claim' deed was worthless (our ignorance). We now have to get a lawyer to acquire a clean title. They have been or were paying taxes on another Abandoned (since the 1930's) lot of land which they never maintained possession...

Adverse possession [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, going to buy my deceased uncle home, he allowed a neighbor to extend his garage a few feet onto his lot, I'm not exactly sure went this was done. Were wondering how this will affect the lot, can we have him move the building to recover the yard, what steps need to be taken. This is in West...

Adverse Possession [ 5 Answers ]

My siblings & I inherited property from our parents ,of which settlement has not been agreeded upon. One of our siblings is openly storing their personal belongings on the property. In seven years Can adverse possession be claimed in doing so? Thanks

Adverse possession in Nj [ 1 Answers ]

My neighbor called me to tell me that they have had a garden they've maintained for 25 years, that juts into my property by 10 feet. My lot is vacant and I purchased it last year from a developer. It was originally owned by the a water company in the state, but I am not sure if it is a state...

Adverse possession [ 2 Answers ]

I have let my father and his lady friend live in a home that belongs to me and my sister. They have been there for 14years and my father is in poor health, and we are scared that this woman will try to take this property from us through Adverse possession or squatters rights, which I think is the...

View more questions Search