Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jeter62 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2010, 08:25 AM
    How can I get a 9-digit numeric datapoint to format as text, and link up to text
    How can I get a 9-digit numeric datapoint to format as text, and link up to text? I was able to convert a column of 9-digit Social Security Numbers to 9-digit text, but they don't link up to =if statetments as I try to match them up. Thanks for your help
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 18, 2010, 09:09 AM

You can use the function = text(cell,format), where format = 0 (meaning you want an integer as text). For example, if cell A1 has the number 123.0, and in cell A2 you put = TEXT(A1,0), you'll get "123" as text. You can then use functions like =if and =concatenate to manipulate the text.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 18, 2010, 09:27 AM

I don't know if you know this, but preceding a number with a single quote ['] will force the number to be text.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Excel 15 digit issue, tried converting to text, text to column feature negates fix [ 6 Answers ]

I have the following numbers that exceed 15 characters that needs to be split into its own columns. Down the road, there would be thousands of such rows of data with the first couple set of unique numbers. 890432453253208820,5004500558,05CC,1,0,0,0,0,0,0, 0000,5.0000,2007-01-11...

How to edit the jpg file which is in text format? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know how to edit jpg file which is in text format... if I convert it into word file than how can I edit that word file... let me know the answer..

Text and numeric when typing in Word / Outlook Express [ 1 Answers ]

My problem is on my wife's computer. When typing on her computer, which is a Fujitsu Amilo Pro, using the keyboard we get:- Qwerty-456- Asdfgh123 Zxcvbn0 I note that her keyboard has the numerals on the "missing" character's.

Text does not display in readable format [ 2 Answers ]

when trying to access news items from a website by clicking on a title, I get a display of what looks to me like some extended ASCII code: ...

How to read .reg file in text format [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I learnt that .ref file is nothing but a text document. Is there a way to programatically read the content in .reg file (line by line) and retrieve information. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

View more questions Search