Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    walking5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2010, 11:44 AM
    Acid coming from grout
    3 months ago we had a wood deck 3 to 4 feet above ground approx 400 square feet. Then the contractor did the following things to prepare the wood deck for tile (sorry, I do not know the product names for this process):
    1. Placed dura rock on wooden deck
    2. Laid organge water proof layering (New item they told me) over dura rock. It had a waffle finish and pattern with squares approx 1/2 inch.
    3. Sealed the seams of orange stuff with sealer of some type.
    4. Used leveling agent to create a slope on the deck to increase water run off.
    5. Laid tile with expansion joints every 10 feet or so in both directions
    6. Grouted using a flexible type grout.

Immediately noticed white bubbles coming through grout in what looks like a small pinhole. However, the pinholes were not in the grout prior. It looks like a small volcano coming out of grout, especially when temperatures increases. The white bubbles smell like vinegar, or something like vinegar - acidic.
    The tile people are coming back to inspect and see what is going on. Help! What is this stuff? I have a bad gut feeling something is really wrong and I am afraid that they will try to get out of this and say that is is typical, etc. The total cost of tile project was approx. $10,000.00
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 17, 2010, 11:53 AM

Sounds like he used the Schluter Kerdi membrane but it would help if you could tell us more about the grout and adhesive used. The type of deck you describ does not usually get a tiled surface. Where do you live and what was the deck made from?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use Grout Boost with Polyblend Grout [ 7 Answers ]

Is it OK to use Grout Boost with Polyblend sanded grout. The grout package only mentions water as an addative.

Amazed With Results! Glycolic Acid and Kojic Acid [ 22 Answers ]

Hello, I have wriiten some posts before on this subject. I got three emails from people I supplied my information with. There are two products you need to get for hand and face. One is glycolic acid cream (10%) also kojic acid. The Kojic acid can be founf in Palmers Skin Success Section. It will...

Can you grout tile using a special grout caulking gun? [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I buy a special caulking gun that uses commercial tile grout? I have some 20" X 20" interior wall tile to grout and would like to avoid making a huge mess in my kitchen. This method, if available, would seem to be a good, clean solution. Ralph

How to remove the white muratic acid color from gray grout [ 4 Answers ]

I laid a satillo tile floor with one inch grout joints. I had sealed the tiles before I grouted with natural gray grout, however, I was unable to remove all the grout from the tiles. I used muratic acid to clean the remaining grout off the tiles. In the process, the muratic acid turned the gray...

Calcium Coming Up Through Grout--TERRIBLE! [ 2 Answers ]

We built a new home in Orange County, CA, about six years ago. For our patio, we used a concrete slab and then covered that with porcelain tile with a 1/2" wide grout joint. All over the patio, what I have been told is "calcium" deposits have oozed up through the grout, creating rock hard, very...

View more questions Search