Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 17, 2010, 10:55 AM
    Is use of cement board required under a granite slab?
    We are in the midst of installing hard wood floor in our family room, and also replacing an old fireplace hearth (whch was a brick veeer) with a granite 3/4 inch slab. The plan was to place the slab on the plywood subfloor, and the top surface would be about 1/4 inch raised above the finished floor height. But my builder has now discovered that the town reqiures that there be cement board under the slab, on top of the subfloor - which means the stack up of cement board plus the slab will make it about 3/4 inch higher than the hard wood floor. This is really disappointing. My first question is: I can understand use of cement backer board in a bathroom, or on a wall with tile, but what good does it do under a 3/4 inch thick slab on the floor? And second: is this a pretty common requirement, or is my town nuts?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 17, 2010, 11:30 AM

Are you relaying the same old piece of granite? Why not leave it in place and work around it. Chcek with the city building department, bet this is a fire code.
    Expert

May 17, 2010, 12:52 PM

No - we tore up the old brick veneer hearth and are replacing it with a 23" x 48" granite slab.

I have a call in to the building department, but they haven't called back yet and the bullder wants to lay the cement board tomorrow. If it is a fire code issue, it seems strange to me that 1/2 inch of cement board is considered more fire resistant than 3/4 inch of granite.

May 17, 2010, 01:01 PM

They would expect you to lay the granite on top of the cement board. You can't lay stone or tile on top of a dimensional wooden sub floor. What is your current sub made of?
    Expert

May 17, 2010, 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    What is your current sub made out of?
    Two layers of plywood. This is in a family room over a full basement.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2010, 01:27 PM

What is possibility of removing one layer of sub floor. This will maintain your 1/4'' reveal. If u do this make sure that cut out is over floor beams.

Chuck

May 17, 2010, 02:17 PM

How thick is each layer of ply? Creahands idea is good but not if you are left with only 1/4" ply.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 17, 2010, 04:45 PM

Does city ordinance specify the thickness of the cement board? Will there be any trim or molding around around the granite. I would think there would be some kind of transition strip.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2010, 07:26 PM

First layer of ply is usually 1/2 or 3/4 inch. The top layer could be 1/4inch.

Two layers of 1/4 inch would have flex between beams.

There is a reducer strip made that could be used that would give a very nice look.

Chuck
    Expert

May 18, 2010, 05:37 AM

I checked again with the builder and it turns out that there is one layer of 3/4 inch plywood, not two. So there is no way to make this flush short of putting down another 1/2 inch of plywood throughout the room.

Harold - The city building dept has still not returned my call. When they do I'll ask about minimum thickness of the cement board, but my builder is planning on using 1/2 inch. The hardwood floor will be "picture framed" around the slab.

Chuck - what's a reducer strip?
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2010, 10:50 AM

It is a piece of wood trim that is shaped in a wedge form. A square edge to go against the hearth. It would be similar to clam shell casing. The company u bought the flooring from should have what u need to match new floor.

Chuck
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

May 19, 2010, 01:00 AM
    Sometimes newer technology and building products need to take a backseat to old fashioned stone and tile trade craftsmanship and carpentry skills. In your situation, you should go with a sunken subfloor and mud set stone. How is this done? Cut out the subfloor where the stone will go and install solid blocking between the joists to support where the plywood subfloor now ends. In the area where the stone will be, install cleats along the joists and blocking between the joists all at a level 3/4" below the tops of the joists. Cut panels of 3/4 ply to sit on the lowered blocking and cleats and now the subfloor in the area of the hearth is now in plane with the top of the joists.

From here you can proceed with tar paper/lath/mud 3/4" deep and mortar troweled over the back of the granite and set into place. It will be dead even with the hardwood, no cement board needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green board sheet rock VS cement board for show wall backing [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if the green sheet rock will do just as well as cement board for installing in a show that I'm planning on tiling?

Joining granite slab to carpet. [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a granite slab in front of our fireplace in our living room which is carpeted. The granite is 3cm and the existing carpet has padding. I need some advice on joining the carpet to the granite smoothly.

Green board vs cement backer board for tub/shower surrounds [ 2 Answers ]

Our tub/hand held shower surround currently has green board (mold & waterproofed board) on the walls and is primed and painted. We are wanting to tile the walls, do we need to rip out the current green board and put up cement backerboard or can we put it right over the current green board? NAN

Underlayment for granite slab [ 1 Answers ]

We are having granite slabs installed over on new kitchen cabinets. There is a breakfast bar area (made of standard 2 x4/drywall construction). Does the bb slab adhere directly to the cross 2 x4 or should I install hardibacker board (et. Al) prior to granite install? If so, should I use thinset...

Cement slab [ 1 Answers ]

how many yards of cement do I need for a slab of 6x8 4"tick

View more questions Search