Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ohio_Remodeler Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2010, 12:39 PM
    How to Test Water Line From Meter to Street Valve
    Is there a way to test the water line from the meter to the street valve to see if there's a leak? I know you can test gas lines by putting a pressure test on them, can you do the same with the water line?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2010, 12:58 PM

Turn the water shut off in you home off. Look at the meter at the street, if there is water being used, there is a leak.
    And with main shut off to home on, don't use any water and check meter, if it is running, there are leaks somewhere else in the system.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 16, 2010, 01:27 PM

Between your meter and the city valve or shut off can be tested by your city water department. They frequently use a device that listens to the water poipe and can tell if water flows after you shut of at you meter. Leaks prior to the meter will not show on your water bill and may not be your problem to fix.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 16, 2010, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio_Remodeler View Post
    Is there a way to test the water line from the meter to the street valve to see if there's a leak? I know you can test gas lines by putting a pressure test on them, can you do the same with the water line?
    First off, this is not your responsibility If the leak's from the meter to your house it's on you, however, if the leak's between the meter and the street main it's on the city to test and repair. Since the leak's downstream from the meter it will not show up on your bill. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No shutoff valve at water meter [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all: I recently bought a run-down house and I'm trying to renovate it. It currently has a leaking sink valve in one of the bathroom sinks that needs changing. I need to shut off the water for the entire house, however, I can't seem to find the main water shutoff. I looked at and near the...

Water meter and air in line [ 3 Answers ]

Sometimes my water is turned off in my neighborhood. When it is back on the pressure is very hig, would air in the line and too much pressure cause the meter to read higher than norman. Thanks

Water haeter pressure valve leaking and new meter [ 3 Answers ]

My water heater's pressure relief valve started leaking today. A few days ago the city installed a new meter. The city says the new meter has a electronic reader and that no other changes were made. Of course, I did have some air in the lines initially-could that have caused my valve to go bad? ...

Is watermain valve/meter under water a bad thing? [ 3 Answers ]

The house we rent was buildt in the 80's. When it rains we get a foul smell from master bedroom. We have checked for rodents in rain gutters and took room apart to look around. Smell has gone on for a year. Our toilets get plugged very easily. We had one toilet replaced. Our entire house looses...

Water in sewer line to the street connection [ 9 Answers ]

I have been having problems with clogged drains lately. All fixtures backed up except the kitchen sink, which is the closest fixture to exiting the house. I located the clean out on the outside of the house that leads to the service connection at the street. I notice there is about two inches of...

View more questions Search