Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Germanlvr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2006, 04:40 PM
    Dog not sleeping through the night
    Hi,

I'm new to this site. My dad asked me to do a little research about why my 4 year old German Shepherd dog isn't sleeping through the night. She eats Eukanuba Large Adult Dry Food mixed with Pedigree Adult wet food at about 6 pm. Before my family goes to bed, we let her out to go to the bathroom. Every morning, at about 4 am, my mom or dad has to wake up and let her outside. I don't know if it's so she can go to the bathroom or if she just wants to play??
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2006, 05:07 PM
    There are a couple of things you could do. Moving her meal time up might allow longer to process it and get the bowel movement over with. More exercise at bed time could stimulate her body to have the bowel movement too. Even a good walk to tire her out and have her sleep through the night.

Try those, and if it doesn't help, post back and we will talk about some other alternatives.
    khowell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2007, 06:10 AM
    My wire-haired pointer is almost 9 years old and has always slept in our bedroom. He recently went to the vet for his check up and is fine. Over the past few months he has been getting up during the night at about 3:00am to either go poop or pee. He is fed at 5:00 pm every day and gets Eukanuba adult formula. He also gets 2 wals per day. Any ideas to get him back on track again?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2007, 06:21 AM
    At 9 years old, even a larger breed like yours should still not be aging. It sounds like you are already doing much of what I suggested in the original question. I don't think anything is to be gained switching from Eukanuba. You could try a morning feeding, although if he is left alone all day, that could cause problems too. Can you move the second walk closer to bed time?
    khowell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Thanks for your reply. His walk time is usually at either 6:00 or 6:30 pm for half an hour even in sub-zero weather. He is not alone all day, as my husband is home with him which is why I am so puzzled. Any othre ideas?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog sleeping in our bed? [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I let our dog sleep with us last week for 3 ngiths in a row. I don't know why we did but we did. We decided that this is probably not a good idea for many reasons (Hygene, Top Dog Status). So we decided to say No last night and he slept on the floor in our room like he usually does. At...

Help... Dog cries every night in the crate... [ 10 Answers ]

My one year old dachshund cries every night at around 1am in his crate for no other reason then to be let out to come sleep in my bed. We try to ignore it and tell him to lay down but this will go on for an hour or so until we finally give in and let him out. Any suggestions?? Thanks

11 week old puppy sleeping at night [ 2 Answers ]

We have the typical LAB puppy that is biting and chewing everything. The problem is she is not sleeping at night and it waking up at 11pm, 3am, 5am. We take her to outside at these times no problem. The problem is she is WIDE awake for hours afterward, running through house, whining for...

My dog is not eating and is sleeping all the time [ 2 Answers ]

My Staffordshire terrior is not eating. It all started when I leave my dog outside.Shes a house Dog I'm usually with at all times.I started leaving her outside for the past two weeks,from around 2:00 pm to 7:00pm.The first week she started to eat and drink small amounts of what I leave her out...

Dog Wakes Me Up at Night: HELP! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I adopted a male "shelter" dog last week... a young (less than a year but probably older than six months according to the vetinarian) black lab mix. He's a great dog... affectionate, obedient, and seems to be housetrained. He gets walks and bathroom breaks up to 5 times a day so maybe he...

View more questions Search