Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aduckart Posts: 32, Reputation: 6

Dec 6, 2006, 03:50 PM
    First time House buyer
    My husband and I are looking to purchase a house in a few years and we would like to get the process started as we understand this process takes quite a long time. What is our first step and are we starting too early? We know we need a lender, real estate agent, mortgage person...

Really... what are the steps to follow?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2006, 09:16 PM
    Just make sure you have good credit and save your money so you can put at least 20% down in a down payment on the house.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2006, 09:25 PM
    You are WAY early. What you can be doing now is saving up your down payment, checking your credit rating, making sure your score is in the 700s or higher and researching neighborhoods. When you are ready to buy, then you can go to a lender and get yourself precertified so you know how much house you can afford. You can then visit realtors in the neighborhoods you have centered on.

The actual process of finding and buying a home can take a few months to a few years depending on how picky you are and the market. You could find the home of your dreams the first time out, or still be looking after more than a year. The process once you find a house is usually 1-2 months from going to contract (offering a binder on the house) to closing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 6, 2006, 09:43 PM
    If you have a local lender, you don't need a mortgage broker,

Often if you have good credit your local lenders can get you good rates.

And the process does not take that long, you get a real estate perosn, and look for a house you like ( that is the hardest part) if you find the house, you get a home inspection done. During that time, you go to your local lenders or use a mortgage broker to help arrange the loan.

As mentioned, the more down payment you have the better
    RonSunTrust Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 18, 2006, 11:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aduckart
    My husband and I are looking to purchase a house in a few years and we would like to get the process started as we understand this process takes quite a long time. What is our first step and are we starting too early? We know we need a lender, real estate agent, mortgage person....

Really...what are the steps to follow?
    All great journeys begin with the first step. Your first step is to be pre-qualified. This should cost you nothing and allow you to understand 3 things.

1. Where are you today.
    2. What will you need to do to be qualified to purchase your first home.
    3. The steps you must take between now and then.

I, naturally, recommend... me. But there are many opporutnities to be pre-qualifed in every market here in the US.

Take that first step... you won't regret it.

Ron Schwartz - SunTrust Mortgage

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1st time buyer questions.. [ 5 Answers ]

I am just about to have my home inspected before the closing happens.. 1... I noticed that the hot water heater is made by a company that went out of business 10-15 years ago and the condition of the heaters effectiveness is in question... not to sound cheap, but do I have the right to have the...

Buyer agent agreement [ 1 Answers ]

How to get out of a buyers agent agreement ?

Electric problems for 1st time buyer? [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to buy my 1st home, a small apartment. A row of recessed wall lights are not working in the proposed property. All other electrics appear to be OK (except the bottom cylinder in an immersion heater). In the absence of any explanation by the seller and no possibility of re-entering the...

Sold motorcycle, got cash, buyer won't pick up bike? [ 5 Answers ]

Two days ago on the 12th a man responded to an ad we had in the local paper about a motorcycle we owned and were selling. He came by w/ his girlfriend and after about 30 minutes of discussion between the two of them, ultimately bought the bike. He did not want to ride it prior to buying it...

First time buyer [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what good brands of microwaves there are. I don't want to purchase one and then have it break on me a few months later.

View more questions Search