Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 15, 2010, 08:31 PM
    What Kind of Cement is Most Often Used to Make Floors, Sidewalks, Stairs, Etc.
    Hi, All!

There wasn't enough room for my whole title, so I had to shorten it a bit.

Okay. I'd like to start making some things that I'll manufacture out of cement. These things might include floors, sidewalks, stairs, paving bricks as well as maybe seats, and lawn ornaments. I'm looking for the type(s) of cement that will have a very smooth texture on the surface, but hold together well.

I know that small stones and rocks in a mix will sink to the bottom so that the top coat can be smoothed out. Making stairs and porches for apartment houses was some of the kind of work that I did with my dad decades ago, but I really don't recall the type of mix that we used.

What kind of cement would normally be used for the main things that I've listed, please?

Depending on what the answers are, I'll also start another thread about how to make a homemade mix, since that would be another subject.

Thanks!
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

May 16, 2010, 10:25 AM

Portland Cement.
    Uber Member

May 16, 2010, 11:45 AM
    Hi, manhattan42!

Is that the only kind that's usually used, please?

Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 16, 2010, 07:08 PM

Go with portland but different aggregate for different projects. You would not make the same mix for a walk as you would for a lawn ornament
    Uber Member

May 16, 2010, 08:06 PM
    Okay.

Thanks for the help, all!
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2010, 07:17 AM

Small stones and rocks that sink to the bottom is the last thing that you want. The concrete gets its strength from the bond between cement and the aggregates. Concrete that is overworked during the finishing process will force the coarse aggregate down resulting in a very weak mortar on top.
    Some finishers prefer concrete made with natural gravel which has rounded surfaces and is troweled more easily. Natural gravel is not normally as strong as crushed rock which is angular and bonds better than rounded surfaces.
    If you plan to make one mix for all of those different purposes, I don't think that is possible.
    Transportation agencies make most of those items, and use at least ten different mixes.
    Consider use of air entrainment in items subjected to freeze thaw cycles. The increase in durability is remarkable.
    This association (PCA) is widely relied upon in the concrete industry:http://www.cement.org/
    Uber Member

May 17, 2010, 11:11 AM
    Hi, smearcase!

Thank you for all of the helpful information! I knew that there were different mixes. Just didn't know all the ins and outs of it concerning that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate floors and stairs [ 4 Answers ]

My brother and I are installing Laminate floors in a house and we are getting into the stair work now. The question is can we use underlayment for use with the laminate flooring and still nail it down to the stairs? Another question is it okay to butt the edges to the sides of the stairs that...

Rad up stairs are hot down stairs are cold [ 3 Answers ]

I have a standard boiler 3way valve and pumped system. Up stairs 4 rads all working fine, down stairs I have three cold rads. Pump sounds like its working

What kind of cookies should I make? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm going to make cookies on Sunday with my mother-in-law and she asked if I would make two different kinds of cookie dough. So I know that I'm already going to make sugar cookies. I made them last year and that was a lot of fun. Well I don't know what other kind to make. Maybe Gingerbread? I...

Cement shower floors / acid washed [ 1 Answers ]

We have a large walk in shower. I'd like to have a cement floor with an acid washed stain. A sloped shower pan will be installed underneath. Can anyone recommend the best type of sealer to use for this type of floor in a shower and how the cement should be finished so it won't be too slippery or...

View more questions Search