Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raelan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2010, 01:26 PM
    What is a judgement
    I lost my job 2 years ago and was unable to pay my credit card bill. The card had a limit of only $350.00, but now they have a judgement against me in the amount of over $1200. I am 64 years old and my only income is from Social Security. Can the credit card company seize my bank account?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 15, 2010, 02:09 PM

A judgement is a court order that orders you to pay. It allows the debtor to do various things depending on where you live.

And yes they may freeze any bank accounts, if you prove that all the money in there comes from social security, it may be released, but you will have to prove that it was not savings from prior work years and more.

If you have a bank account, how much, and why have you not paid it toward the debt ?
    raelan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2010, 05:39 PM
    I did try to pay them, but requested a reduced amount per month but with the late fees and over limit fees, I just couldn't keep up. My unemployment has ran out and the only income I have is just social security which pays my rent. I am on food stamps now. If they freeze my bank account, I will soon be homeless.
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

May 16, 2010, 03:28 PM

As noted above it will be up to you to prove that the funds are form social security. If you have
    Any savings they will go after that also

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judgement by default, now trying to enforce judgement [ 2 Answers ]

Received a judgement by default... by cavalry portfolio... a debt collector service. Now they had a sheriff show up at my home due to a levy, and theyb assessed my assests. Can they do that?

Unaware of default judgement /cause of judgement [ 2 Answers ]

A few days ago, my husband was called by a collection agency informing him of a default judgement of over $8,000 which he had no prior knowledge of. The default judgement was 12/2005. He was told that it was for a credit card he had in 1996. He sincerely believes that he was the victim of identity...

Texas - CC Judgement Can They Put Judgement Against Husband's Property only his name [ 1 Answers ]

Have been sent a summons and contacted attorney. While discussing lump sum settlement they hung up and said they would see me in court. I have tried to call back with no response. Can the judgement in court be put against property that is only in my husbands name?

View more questions Search