Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    huno Posts: 336, Reputation: 75

May 15, 2010, 09:52 AM
    Meeting someone online... how soon to meet them in person?
    Hi,

I've been going on okcupid and plentyoffish and sometimes get responses to my messages... I'm wondering how soon is too soon to ask to meet someone in person? My experience has been that people stop responding to my messages after 3 or 4 mails... so I want to ask for a number or a casual date early on.

Anyone have any experience with that?
    Jlesnik33 Posts: 235, Reputation: 26

May 15, 2010, 10:45 AM

I would wait at least a good month, exchanging numbers, and getting toknow each other on the phone can make a good choice weather that's the person you want to meet, or if there fishy and its no good. Even ask the person you are talking to, when they feel comfortable meeting in person, that way you both are on the same page. Also gives conversation, like oh we can go to red lobster, oh I love shell fish... and so forth.

I hope this helped.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2010, 10:47 AM

I'd say that you should at least have one telephone conversation in addition to your emails to get a real feel for the person you're dealing with.

There isn't any hard and fast rules for when to meet, so ask to meet whenever you feel comfortable enough.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 15, 2010, 11:47 AM
    Hi, huno!

Are there ways on those sites, to privately exchange contact information, please?

Thanks!
    Shadowburn Posts: 249, Reputation: 179

May 15, 2010, 01:11 PM

You should meet as soon as possible - that's the rule of online dating - once you've chatted some via email or IM and still interested - meaning person is not wacko or something - then exchange numbers and schedule a meeting in person. Firstly, you don't want to develop bond with someone you're totally not attracted to in person, secondly, online dating sites meant just as a way of connection. Most likely that's why you're stopping getting responses after 3-4 emails - that's too long, and your penplas are being asked out on dates already while you're still emailing. Good luck and have fun!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 15, 2010, 02:13 PM

Always use a email address that you only use for dating, so that it can not be traced back to you, not something using your real names. And don't give too much info in the first till you find out more.

You decide to date in real life, when you want to, if the other person is not happy with that, that is there issue.

It is a way of meeting, if someone meet you at the store and asked you for coffee, would you go ? That is how dating used to work. Or at least they ask you to call after meeting once.

I have dated people after a few emails, well meet at public place for coffee or a snack
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 15, 2010, 04:30 PM

ASAP, why wait to see what's going on??
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

May 15, 2010, 10:06 PM
    You at least have to know their full name, where he/she lives (city), what kind of work they do, and whether he/she is separated or divorced.

Hopefully you know much more than essential information after correspondence.

I would ask for a phone number if things are going well, and call to chat. If that goes well, ask about the possibility of a coffee date. No drinks, no dinner, something easy that you can get out of if things don't go well.

Meet at a local coffee shop during mid afternoon or early evening when you are sure there will be other patrons around.

Make sure that you have a friend 'happen' by, or a friend to sit in their car in the parking lot at a predetermined spot. I have done this for a friend who does the online dating thing.

Keep the coffee date short and sweet and don't wear out your welcome. Agree if appropriate to meet again soon. Send an email to thank the person, and then wait to see what kind of response (if any) you get.

Just be careful, there are plenty of predators and scammers out there.
    huno Posts: 336, Reputation: 75

May 18, 2010, 03:04 PM

Awesome answers... you all make great points but it seems there are two camps: the "wait a good while before you meet" side and the "get off emailing ASAP" side...

In a way I kind of like the "get off emailing ASAP" logic, particularly because I feel like most people get tired of emails pretty quickly... so I'd rather try and get face time as soon as I can.

Thanks, everyone, for the help! I do love this site. It's like an instruction manual for life. :-)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 18, 2010, 03:30 PM

Pay at this window, LOL!! Good luck whatever you decide.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2010, 04:31 PM

You definitely don't want to get stuck being online bf/gf. You can't have a real relationship with someone you haven't actually met. My husband and I talked online for a week or so before we met. Then we went to steak n shake after I got off work one day. I'm sure you know this, but you should always meet in a public place.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2010, 11:20 PM

I would say ASAP , connection is the whole purpose of sites like these , and generally you'd be connecting with more than one person and so would they.

So if you procrastinate for too long once that connections been made , someone else could be taking her out.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

May 19, 2010, 07:41 AM

I'm going to take a different approach.

To me, it won't matter whether you ask for it sooner or later. If she wants to give you her number or email, she will do it.

Furthermore, some girls prefer the direct approach and don't mind you asking straight up, right away. Other girls might prefer that you send a few messages before you ask.

The cautious approach would be to take it slow. Think about it this way too, if she continues to respond to your messages, then that's a pretty good sign that she's willing to give you her contact information eventually. If you rush, you might look to eager to some girls and push them away right away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is the role of the person organising and supporting the meeting [ 4 Answers ]

What is the role of the person organising and supporting the meeting:)

Meeting girl online for first time [ 10 Answers ]

I have been talking to this girl online I knew for about a year. We were best friends at first, but then it went more serious... we do like each other and know each other pretty well on the internet, I've only talked to her once on I'm on the mic though... we are going to meet with each other this...

Meeting a girl I've been talking to online in real life for the first time... [ 66 Answers ]

I've been talking to this girl from Match.com for a few weeks now on AIM and on the phone, and tomorrow night we're meeting for the first time in real life. I'm keeping it to a short and casual dinner after we both get off work. Any advice? I've never done this before and I'm kind of...

Are online dating or meeting services okay? [ 12 Answers ]

Does anyone have an opinion about whether online dating/meet-up services are worthwhile? I've heard some pro's and con's.

How often do you meet a really nice person you really like. [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I've been in a relationship for 6 years and we are most likely going to call it quits. What is really bugging it about me is I meet girls in college and see girls around in stores, the mall, bars, clubs and I never met a girl that I would replace my girlfriend with, although I avoid meeting...

View more questions Search