Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firefly71 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2010, 02:46 AM
    Can an employer divulge personal employee information to a non employee?
    I was hurt at work and have been off for 6 weeks due to my injury. My question is, can my employer tell a friend of his that I have been off work and hurt, and missing a lot of work?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 15, 2010, 05:40 AM

I don't really see what this has to do with confidentiality, if this is what you are referring to. Did your employer, within his conversation with a non employee, give out your name and address or any other personal information? How do you know this conversation took place ?

Tick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 15, 2010, 06:16 AM

Is it part of a law suit and has a non disclouse motion been filed with the court?

Was the other person concerned about you, what context did the conversation happen.

It may be against company rules,

May 15, 2010, 08:32 AM
    Sorry, I didn't include a lot of details. I was hurt at work in April and have been off work since then due to the injury. My Manager was talking negatively about me to my former Manager (that quit a year ago). Former Manager then wrote negative things about me concerning my injury on Facebook. I haven't seen or spoken to him in a year, and the only persson that would/could is my current manager. I haven't told anyone that I was hurt. How can an employer discuss medical info/FMLA with a former employee? Hope I have given you enough information. Thank you.
    Expert

May 15, 2010, 02:21 PM

Is the material posted true or false, merely being negative is not wrong unless it is a lie.

Also has to be more there, after a year, why would a old boss even care about you, esp enough to post negative thigs

May 15, 2010, 04:08 PM

The old boss and I were "friends", and continued to speak after he left the company, I just had not spoken to him in a few months. That's why I was floored when he commented what he did.

All of the material posted was not true. I spoke to the old boss today, and he apologized, said he was drunk last night when he posted that. I understand that my current boss is short handed and the two of them are friends, but he still doesn't have the right to divulge private information about why I'm on fmla leave correct? Or that I'm supposedly on "vacation" more than I'm there, which isn't true, I haven't been on vacation in a year. I also spoke to my current boss today and he said he only told the other guy was that I was off work, well I found out that isn't true, that's not what he said. Otherwise, how would the old boss know anything, he lives 400 miles away.
    Maybe it's nothing, I just didn't appreciate it. I will call company HR on Monday morning when I return to work and see what they say. Thanks for everything.
    Expert

May 15, 2010, 05:10 PM

Hi fire, then it all comes down to 'he said, you said, they said' and in my opinion, you should just drop it and let by gones be by gones, otherwise you are going to wind up with no job and possibly bad feelings, and no references. I know you didn't appreciate it, but could be just nothing so maybe you should just leave it at nothing. But... I get the impression there is still something left for you to say here that you don't want to say, otherwise why would you just drop it? That is your prerogrative after all and your own personal business.

Tick
    Expert

May 15, 2010, 05:22 PM

Old boss could be talking to others in the office, hard to tell, I can tell you almost everything going on in my old office and I have not been there in a year, pieced together from what this person and the other says, or what other employees post on their web pages.

And if it is tue, then there is little you can do.

And bosses do fuss, esp when key people are out, I broke my leg a couple week ago, and although I am going in to work, I can't do my regular job, so they are not happy, other workers having to do a lot more work and I am sure behind my back there were a lot of things said. Welcome to the work force, where your business, personal or work is known by others often before you know

May 15, 2010, 06:56 PM

Thank you Fr Chuck. I appreciate it. I love my job and I know it's been hard on the guys; but there's certain things that should not be divulged. Thanks for everything.

May 15, 2010, 07:02 PM

Tickle, it really upset me what was said; I do understand that my boss id under a lot of pressure with me being gone; but that doesn't excuse what he said/did. Like I said I am contacting HR on Monday. I will keep y'all posted. Thanks for everything.
    hhpcandi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2010, 08:43 AM
    I'm dealing with the similar situation. I left my previous employment due to illegal activities the owner was getting into. As of yesterday, I started receiving phone calls pertaining to him. How can my personal cell phone # be divulged without my permission?? Is that legal?? There is so much more behind this, but I am starting my case of deflamation of character and need to get all my ducks in a row first..
    Expert

Nov 11, 2010, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hhpcandi View Post
    I'm dealing with the similar situation. I left my previous employment due to illegal activites the owner was getting into. As of yesterday, I started receiving phone calls pertaining to him. How can my personal cell phone # be divulged without my permission??? Is that legal??? There is so much more behind this, but I am starting my case of deflamation of character and need to get all my ducks in a row first..

You should have started this as a new thread, hhp. You would get better coverage from members that way. This way, it is tagged on to an old thread. Anyway, how do you know your previous employer gave out your cell phone number. What did they gain by doing this ?

By the way is 'defamation'. Okay questions regarding this too. In what why did they do this? Yes, you really do need your ducks in a row for this, and I hope you have a lot of money behind you to carry it out. A lot of time will pass before you get to the end. Discovery in these cases takes so much time.

Hhp, if you want to get this out on the boards of AMHD, start it over as a new thread in 'ask your question here' and give it a heading.

Tick

Tick
    gomissygo Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Aug 5, 2011, 10:42 PM
    Apsolutely not...
    km25 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2012, 08:00 AM
    Hi,
    I work in two different roles in different departments for the same employer. Can the employer disclose my information to managers of those departments about the other role where I don't work for them.

My HR person says that as H&S issue they can disclose my employment information to other line managers even if they are not linked to my role.

Thanks for your advice.
    renelmiller0120 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2012, 02:31 PM
    Absolutely NOT

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employer Taxes for OPT employee [ 8 Answers ]

I am an employer and have an employee working on OPT. I don't withheld social security and medicare taxes from the employee paycheck. Do I need to pay employer portion of social security and medicare taxes even though I don't withhold these taxes from the employee paycheck? Alsodo I need to...

May a full-time employee also work as a temporary employee for the same company? [ 3 Answers ]

We are a small CBRF (community based residential facility) in Wisconsin, with 12 full-time employees. In the past when a full-time employee could not work we either have a temporary/pool employee to work ($12.00 per hour). However, sometimes pool employees are unavailable. In that case we have...

Employer discussions of employee actions [ 2 Answers ]

I serve as a member of a board of directors for a non profit corp. We discussed the actions of our only employee and when he found out about it he resigned and is threating to sue us for slander. The actions were witnessed and the discussions were totally between the board members only. Can't...

Political candidate refuses to divulge personal information [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for the title of a movie, probably from the 80's, maybe the 90's. A candidate (pretty sure female... like 95% sure) for a high government office (president, vice-president, Supreme Court, something like that... powerful and rare for a female to hold) is pretty much breezing through the...

View more questions Search