Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 15, 2010, 12:10 AM
    Dogs That Are Difficult to Groom. What Are Some Ways to Make it Easier?
    Hi, All!

Okay. Some dogs are difficult to groom, especially if they might have long hair.

Other than rendering them unconscious, what are some ways to make it a more pleasant experience for both the dog and the person doing the grooming while keeping the dog awake at the same time, please?

Thanks!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 15, 2010, 12:21 AM

Different dogs respond to different way of grooming.

My little puppy HATES having his feet touched so it makes nail clipping and feet brushing interesting.
    I had to get my partner to physically restrain him when we do this... he is getting better slowly as he is finally realizing that I'm not going to hurt him and he isn't going to be let go until we are done.
    My partners is holding a little looser each time and we are almost to the point of him just sitting on his lap while it is being done without having to hold him.

Some dogs it might be better to teach them to 'stack' like a show dog.
    This is where the dog is trained to stand perfectly still on either the ground or a grooming table.
    Once that command has been mastered you can move onto brushing the dog for short periods.

When I brush mine I usually just wait until they are nice and sleepy and are laying on the couch, then I just squat down in front of them (so there is no escape) and start brushing.

My mum however has set grooming times for her dogs. They get picked up, taken into the laundry and put on her grooming table.

The earlier you start grooming a dog the better. The breeder of the dog should have been brushing them since about 4 weeks old and you just continue doing so every single day until the dog is well behaved... then you can move onto brushing only when needed.
    GeorgeLeigh50 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2010, 09:37 AM
    Those shampoos that have a conditioner make tangled hair much easier to comb out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to make missing him easier [ 3 Answers ]

School just ended and my really good friend who is a boy and not my boyfriend yet (issues with my parents can't have a boyfriend right now, read another post if ypu want to know the full story, don't pay attention to the title because I used the phrase wrong) is in Florida for I don't know howe...

How to make NC easier? [ 2 Answers ]

My ex (together 3 years) and I have been apart 3 weeks. But everywhere I go I seem to run into her. I live 5 minutes away from my ex. I do my shopping at the same area. We have passed each other on the roads every second or third day (she'll drive beside me and wave) We go out to the same...

Cover roots to make mowing easier? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a beautiful old tree in my front yard growing on an incline. Over the years the root system has spread out and on the downslope they are sticking up out of the ground several inches. It ends up being a pain to mow around and it spans about 15 feet in circumference around the tree so weed...

Hairballs can I make them easier for my cat [ 2 Answers ]

is there anything I can do for my poor longhaired cat. Those hairballs are coming about 2x per week and they look so awful for her. I have been giving her whiskas catmilk and it has helped slow them down but is there anything else I can do for her?

Make it easier [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so then what do I do when I run into him like at the store or something it is going to be really hard to just ignore him especially if he is going to my church. Anyway why does it hurt so much. I guess he was my first love. I love him a lot. People expect me to just get over it in a day but...

View more questions Search