Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeCeramics Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2010, 09:49 AM
    What makes a toilet give a loud banging noise
    I have the same problem with my toilet. It happens at night there is such a hugh bang it is frightening. This house is over 20 years, in good condition, but has a flushometer and not a tank. Sometimes I have to hold the lever for a few seconds before it flushes.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

May 14, 2010, 11:05 AM

In most cases, noises that occur when a faucet is turned on or a toilet is flushed are caused by air in the pipes. Often, when the air "bubble" slams through the pipe, any part of the pipe that is not secured in the wall (brackets/braces) will rattle against the internal spaces.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 14, 2010, 12:41 PM

When does the banging noise occur, when you flush of when the toilet stops refilling?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet makes loud noise and spews water from inside tank [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, My toilet has been making a loud noise for a long time now - When its flushed, it sounds like a crazy hyenna sound. This sounds lasts for about ten seconds, quite a long time really. When I take the lid off the tank, it spews a single stream of water at me. So, I assume some sort of valve is...

Heating pipes making loud banging noise [ 4 Answers ]

Why do heating pipes make lound banging noise. It's a gas furance and when I turn it on. The pipes makes a loud banging noise.in the walls.

Whirlpool Dryer makes loud banging noise when on and empty [ 2 Answers ]

Our dryer suddenly makes loud banging noises when on and its empty. Could it be the tub or a belt or something else. How do I go about fixing it? Thanks

Furnace makes loud banging sound when it turns off [ 2 Answers ]

When my furnace turns off there is a loud bang. It looks and sounds like there is air being sucked in through the ducts and then 'let go' all of a sudden. Any suggestions on what this could be and how to fix it?

Loud Banging noise from pipes [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a basement condo a year ago and my neighbors heat pipes goes through my bedroom. Since the day I moved in his furnace has been making clicking and loud banging noises. Last year, we have had a couple of plumbers come in and they have bled the pipes and said that should take care of it....

View more questions Search