Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stephaniez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2010, 05:23 AM
    Hipaa violation in the workplace
    Is it a HIPPA violation for a manager to send out a company wide email saying " Said employee is out of the office - his wife is in the hospital.

Please advise...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 14, 2010, 05:31 AM

Generally no. I assume, that a) the company is not the one providing you with medical services, b) that you volunteered the info about why you would be out of the office and c) the reason she was in the hospital was not mentioned.

A HIPAA violation occurs when someone providing a person with medical care reveals info about that care to a third party without authorization. That doesn't appear to be the case here.

However, it was a breach of etiquette for the manager to do this.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 14, 2010, 05:50 AM
    Unless that manager is in the position of a health care provider, no this is not a HIPAA violation.

Now, is the office a small office or a large company? If it is a small office with only a few employees this can be considered a friendly notice so that the other employees know what is going on and can help out in his absence. If a large company it's just bad etiquette.

Many small companies inform employees of family illness so that friends and co workers can help out in said employees time of need. In the small law offices I have worked at it was a form of courtesy so that employees in the firms could take over the workload of the person out, and some of the secretaries would send food and offer to babysit or whatever the employee might need during a tough time.

Again, HIPAA covers medical personnel from giving out medical information to people or persons who are not involved with the care and/or treatment of a patient.
    toya313 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2011, 07:23 PM
    If someone comes up to you stating that another co-worker told her you got fired and/or was getting fired?? isn't that hippa violation?
    toya313 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2011, 07:24 PM
    It's a hopsital?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa or privacy in the workplace violation? [ 11 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with a condition, and in the process of getting "work" to approve my time off, some fellow managers had lets others know of my condition, by sharing what and why I was out! This had been expressly stated that I did NOT want anyone to know! So needless to say, it is out all over the...

Hipaa violations in the workplace [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter works for a large insurance carrier in NY. They were in training and utilizing records of current incoming benefit question phone calls. The recorded conversation that was played for the training class was that of my daughter's and a mental health facility where she is seeking...

Possible HIPAA violation in the workplace [ 2 Answers ]

I work at a hospital. I had some physical therapy at the hospital in which I work, and the therapist did a poor job, exacerbating a different physical problem I had, causing me a great deal of pain despite my warnings about the situation. I got upset and said some negative things to the...

HIPPA violation in the workplace [ 1 Answers ]

In September of 2008 I entered a facility for substance abuse. Disability papers were faxed to my employer for verification. Someone in the office took it upon themselves to take the address where I was and write to me there (letter was sent "return to sender" by the facility), another letter was...

HIPAA in the workplace [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I read through all the archives but I still have a specific question that I need answered. I work for a medical billing department. We are in cubicals and the woman next to me has had a serious condition in the past that she has openly discussed with other people. She has recently had a...

View more questions Search