Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 13, 2010, 10:08 PM
    Best use of Licensed Minister Housing Allowance
    My wife just started a preschool director's position at a church in Bakersfield, California. We also just purchased a home.

Our home expenses are $2500 per month all-inclusive.

The church indicated they would pay my wife her $38k salary with whatever amount we wished allocated to "housing allowance" that we want.

As I read online it appears we can rightly take any living expense amount, up to the full $2500 per month. Main reading is done here:

Commonly asked questions about Minister's Housing Allowance

However, the last thing I want is an Audit, so any feedback is appreciated here.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 14, 2010, 08:20 AM
    Claim the full $2,500 per month. I have done several minister's returns, and that amount is NOT out-of-line with housing allowances I have seen, espcially for a high cost-of-living state like California.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 14, 2010, 08:57 AM

Any amount paid as housing allowance is not included in federal/state income. But regular income, the employee only pays half the SS tax, employer paying the other half.

Housing allowance is included in SS tax calcs, it is common to ask the church to pay half of the SS tax like they do for regular income, or no?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Per diem/housing allowance question [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I work road construction and my employer gives us housing pay if we stay at a motel/hotel. It's only $35 a day, but better than nothing I guess. The question I have with it is that it's just added in a lump sum and taxed along with my regular wages. So I have to pay all the taxes out of of it...

Minister expenses [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is an ordained minister, However is in not paid for his minister's work. He has another part time job. Would his expenses fall under unreimburesed business expenses or charitable deductions. The difference would be his mileage rate.

Evita wants to be the Imperial Prime Minister [ 2 Answers ]

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/23/us/politics/23diplo.html?_r=1 Does this not “willfully suspend disbelief” ? I guarantee that one of them "special envoys " will be Bill Clintoon himself.

Prime minister of srilanka [ 2 Answers ]

Hello every one.can I know the current prime minister of srilanka

First Minister [ 1 Answers ]

Who was the first Union Minister for Food and Agriculture in Free India ?

View more questions Search