Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hgd7833 Posts: 84, Reputation: 0

Jun 18, 2009, 07:54 PM
    Discrimination
    I am a PhD international student and teaching assistant in one of the US state universities.
    Our department gives us offices and desks. I have noticed that the department have split international students ( 3 of us ) in a room and put the US students in another romm which is quite better and more comfort than ours. In the end of the year they told us that we have to vacate the room to a professor that is being recently hired and they are looking for a new room for us. I just told to the department in an email, that I feel spiting international students from US students and choosing us in particular to move us around each year and leave us unsettled , I feel that this is a kind of discrimination. I was just wondering and worried of the fact that it might be a discrimination. I found that the department was very angry and dissatisfied with me and they told me that using the " Discrimination " term is inappropriate and very offensive and I might get badly penalized because of this.
    I am new in US and I wonder if using this word is very big serious matter. They consider that to be accusation although It was just a feeling form my part. Do they have the right to become so anger and dissatisfied of me because of this ? Do they the right to penalize me ?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2009, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hgd7833 View Post
    I am new in US and I wonder if using this word is very big serious matter. They consider that to be accusation although It was just a feeling form my part. Do they have the right to become so anger and dissatisfied of me because of this ? Do they the right to penalize me ?
    Hello h:

The only reason they would have to become angry, is if you HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD, and they don't like getting caught. The word "discrimination" IS the proper one!

Yes, it IS lonely to be the one who is calling out your major institution, but I support you, and there are others too. Don't let them intimidate you. If they attempt to penalize you, HIRE a lawyer.

excon

PS> I noticed you posted this in small claims... Your complaint has NOTHING to do with small claims.
    hgd7833 Posts: 84, Reputation: 0

Jun 19, 2009, 11:35 AM
    Thanks a lot. Now you told me I shouldn't post that issue in small claims. Where should I post it then ? Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2009, 11:41 AM

Hello again, h:

I didn't say you shouldn't. I just said that it has nothing to do with small claims. I guess you could have put in "other law". That seems to be the catchall category. Maybe one of the moderators will move it there, or you could PM one and ask them to...

But, it's no big deal where it is.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 13, 2010, 06:16 PM

I just noticed this and moved it to a better area.

Discrimination is a very very serious issue. If proven professors or college admin can lose their jobs and the college pay 1000's of dollars in law suits if it is proven to be true.

Now a law suit in this can take years. But sadly often those complaining may be fired or gotten rid of for other issues.

The one college I used to work at, there is a discrimination law suit, sadly I was a witness to some of it, The law suit had been going on for a couple years when I got called to give a statement. Well it was not a few months latter that a new manager found reasons ( not related to the law suit) to fire every employee that was in the law suit.

So at this point, I may saw that you either need to drop it and hope the college does. Or move ahead with it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Possible discrimination? [ 9 Answers ]

I was a manager of walmart for nearly three years during this time I was stuck with an employee who was above all the rules because he was a higher managers friend . During my time at walmart my fellow supervisors and I had more problems with this employee then we could handle and he was never...

Discrimination or not [ 1 Answers ]

Have a tenant who moved in on August 15, 2008. After signing a 6-month lease with her, we realized that this woman isn't ready to be living on her own. She was released from a nursing home where she was living in the brain injury center. We spoke with her family case worker, who agrees with us...

Discrimination or what? [ 7 Answers ]

My friend is having a real serious problem at her job. About 6 months ago, she went into a new position at her workplace, where she has been 8 years now. She is the plant/office secretary. Three months after she was there, they moved her (and her helper) from her office into a broom closet, or at...

Is this discrimination? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, my name is Angela and I have worked at a dine-in pizza restaurant for a little over 2 years now. My current posisition is Shift Manager and I had been getting roughly 30 hours a week, give or take a few each week. I am also 36 weeks pregnant as of today, and have been working throughout my...

Is This Discrimination ? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a quick question. I live in FL, and a friend of mine was fired because her boss said that she didn't fit in to the 4 person office she was working at. I told her that it is because is was the only black female there. Everyone else was white. She was there only 3 or 2 weeks and her boss had...

View more questions Search