Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hailey51 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

May 12, 2010, 10:28 AM
    Smallest euler circuit
    Hi:)
    I was wondering if there's a formula or an algorithm for how to find the shortest/smallest path in a vertex-edge graph.
    Like if you made a vertex-edge for linking network hubs together. The verticies= hubs and the edges=amount of cable. How would I find the smallest amount of cable needed.
    If my example just confused you, but you think you know how to do this, you can ignore the example.
    If you can help, thanks soooo much!

(sorry about the main question saying that it's a euler circuit. I just re-read the problem and it never says it's a Euler circuit.. just a vertex-edge graph)
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2010, 01:11 PM

Linking the nods of a network using the shortest length is called a minimal spanning tree.

Yes, there is an algorithm.

But, I would use software to do it. Like TORA.

If you give me the nodes or, better yet, a picture I can run it through for you.

Can each node be visited more than once?

There is also various algorithms for determining the shortest route between a source node and every other node in a network. It's called Dijkstra's algorithm.

Pronounced DIKE-STRA

What you are talking about is covered in Operations Research under Network Modeling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Smallest Charge.FOREVER! [ 2 Answers ]

In 1996 the smallest charge that we can find in the Univers was called the ELEMENTARY CHARGE : for convenience : e=1.6 *10^-19 Coulomb My question is does it still the same?? Really I won't believe... :):):)

What is the smallest possible number [ 3 Answers ]

If a collection of pencils is placed in rows of 4, there are 2 pencils left; if placed in rows of 5, there are 3 left; and if placed in rows of 7, there are 5 left. What is the smallest possible number of pencils in the collection?

View more questions Search