Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marshaka Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2010, 08:20 PM
    What is the statute of limitations for divorce in Georgia
    My wife and I have been separated for 8 years. I have no idea where she is at. We have 2 children but neither of us have custody. I haven't seen them for 7 years. How do I go ABOUT GETTING A DIVORCE?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 13, 2010, 12:25 PM

You file for one - if you can't find her the Court will allow you to serve by publication (in a newspaper).

You haven't supported your children in 7 years or haven't seen them in 7 years?

She DOES have physical custody - "they" are with her. You have equal rights to "them" until the Court rules otherwise.
    marshaka Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2010, 06:15 AM
    The state takes money from my check each week for support. She does not have custody. Their uncle has full custody of them. I haven't seen them in 7 years.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 14, 2010, 06:23 AM

If your question is how to get a divorce, you file for one wherever you live. Again, if you don't know where she is the Court will give you permission to serve her by publishing a notice in a newspaper. However, if her uncle has custody of your children the Court will require that he be asked where she is.

You have not asked about visititation with your children so I am not addressing that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of Limitations on Pension Claim- Divorce [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently a resident and was a resident of BC 11 years ago when we divorced. At the time, we had been married 13 years. I tried to settle her claim on my company pension plan at the time but she refused. Her Lawyer did, however, place a claim on my pension through my employer. On several...

Divorce statute of limitations in ontario [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancee's been divirced for 5 years and now his ex wife wants ac opy of his life insurance policy naming his kids as the revocable benificary, does she have the rights to it if his sister is the benificary?

Statute of limitations, divorce nunc pro tunc [ 2 Answers ]

I was involved in a divorce that took five years, 1998 - 2002. Three years in court to determine whether I was entitled to half of a business that we (my husband and I) were a part of within a "family business". They claimed it was gifted to him, which we proved was not true. California is...

Statute of limitations for Georgia [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about the statue of limitations for Georgia. I have a company contacting me to collect on tuition and fees from a college that I attended 1992-1994. No payment has been made nor have I made a promise to pay since leaving the college in 1994. Do I have recourse with the...

Statute of Limitations on Credit Card Debt -Georgia [ 4 Answers ]

I keep getting calls from "Lawyers" regarding a credit card balance from 2002, the last payment I made on the card was Jun 02, 2003. They now say my balance is over $9k I have asked many times verbally and by writing and by fax for copies of proof of the debt but they cannot provide me with...

View more questions Search