Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulkramer Posts: 181, Reputation: 2

May 11, 2010, 05:59 PM
    One rotor hotter than the other
    I replaced a front caliper last week after noticing it was moderately seized ('02 Acura RSX, 104K miles, daily and year-round driven in the salt/rust belt).

Today I decided to check my rotors after driving home from work. The rotor on the side of the new caliper was still significantly hotter than the rotor on the other side with the original un-serviced caliper.

Both sides have the same rotors and same pads. The brakes were bled after replacing the caliper.

Why would the side with the new caliper still be hotter than the side with the old caliper!

Bad proportioning valve? Old caliper not moving as freely as the new one and thus not being used as much?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 11, 2010, 06:25 PM

Did you grease the caliper pins with silicone grease? Even though you bled the brakes, how long has it been since you changed the brake fluid?

May 11, 2010, 06:30 PM

On the newly remanned caliper?

No. Isn't that part of the reman process!

The mechanic said he bled the entire system, which I asked him to do. He only used one small container of brake fluid though. (I provided him with three.)
    Uber Member

May 11, 2010, 06:34 PM

Not greasing the caliper pins with silicone grease is often why calipers hang up and generate tremendous heat. Naturally, this is not easy on pads or rotors.
    Uber Member

May 11, 2010, 06:36 PM

This link may help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1618425

An excellent product to have on hand is Motorcraft Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound (XG-3-A). It's available at your local Ford or Lincoln/Mercury dealer. It's amazing the number of applications this product can be used for; e.g. lubricating O-rings, rubber gaskets, disk brake caliper pins, plus using it as a dielectric compound for weatherizing battery and starter terminals and cables, fuse contacts, main grounds, main ECM ground, ECM connectors, igniters, coils, spark plug connectors, coating spark plug porcelein, and tail and brake lights.

May 11, 2010, 06:38 PM

Well, I'll check, but the (Honda, not A/M) remanned part was fully assembled (caliper installed on mounting bracket, the pins too of course) and the instructions said nothing about greasing the pins.
    Uber Member

May 11, 2010, 06:40 PM

All Honda Service Manuals specify lubricating the caliper pins with silicone grease.

Your calipers are not floating on the pins but binding. This can be a MAJOR SAFETY HAZARD.

May 11, 2010, 06:42 PM

Well, of course, but who would assemble a caliper + bracket without greasing the pins!

Like I said, I'll check the pins and grease them if needed

May 11, 2010, 06:43 PM

By the way - I don't notice any braking issues while using the brakes like I did last week when the original caliper was hanging up

I could feel the drag from that old caliper.
    Uber Member

May 11, 2010, 06:44 PM

Boots can also be binding or the pins can be worn. All of this is standard operating procedure for working on brakes.

May 11, 2010, 06:48 PM

Once again - this is a freshly remanned caliper, straight from the dealer!
    Uber Member

May 11, 2010, 06:49 PM

The proportioning valve affects front to rear braking pressure.
    Uber Member

May 11, 2010, 06:55 PM
    Obviously, however, something is not right. Many people assume U-joints always come packed with EP grease. Sometimes they do but sometimes it's just packing grease to prevent rust. It needs to be purged, as bearing grease is pumped in. I learned a long time ago not to assume things. Personally, I would clean the pins with brake cleaner and grease them myself. Then, I know where I stand.
    Uber Member

May 11, 2010, 07:00 PM

Are your new pads compounded the same as your old ones? Going from organic to semi-metallic can generate much more heat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I make my shower hotter [ 3 Answers ]

My shower/tub take a few minutes to get warm, then we run out of hot water very soon after. I can not make he water hotter, why. It is much hotter everywhere else in the house, even sink next to itgets hotter. In the summer it is not as bad, I think because the water coming into the house is...

Why steam is hotter than the hot water? [ 11 Answers ]

I want to know why the steam is hotter than the hot water?

My intertherm electric furnace kept getting hotter and hotter, doesn't shut down heat [ 2 Answers ]

Have to shut it down manually, sometimes the blower doesn't respond to the thermostat.

New thermostat - house is so much hotter [ 4 Answers ]

I have lived in my condo for about 3 years now, when my wife and I moved in we had a standard (older model) thermostat, the just small rectanular one with the little livers in the bottom you just clicked left or right for heat or air and left or right to turn on or off. After the first summer we...

Dryer gets louder the hotter is gets. [ 1 Answers ]

Kenmore dryer stopped working. Figured out it was a bad motor. Installed a new motor and the dryer works great if set to just air dry. However, if you select a heat setting, the dryer becomes louder and louder the hotter it gets. Eventually its about as loud as a leaf blower, but with a...

View more questions Search