Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 11, 2010, 07:16 AM
    Another Strange Happening Jet Black Fog/Cloud
    Another "Strange Happening"
    A few weeks back at 9;00 PM I was driving home along the Tamiami Trail (US#41) and as I crossed over a bridge on as small river to turn off the highway the cars in fromnt of ,e seemed to disppear into a dense fog/cloud. A split second later I entered a jet black area. No street lights, no headlights, jet black outside the windows. I thought I had gone blind except I could still see the instrument lights. I almost turned off the road and hit the medium be3fore I turned back into the turn off lane which was dark gray as I progressed into the turn. As I left the Trail to turn into my street it abruptly ran out and I could see my headlights shining down my street. When I arrived home I looked back to the highway to see if the street lights had gone off but they were burning brightly.
    A few years back I observed a jet black cloud about 30 feet wide and 50 feet off the ground in the shape of a bat or delta wing. This cloud was moving North about 15 MPH.
    Has any body experienced this sort of thing before? I'm not too much of a believer in ghosts, spinets or things that go bump in the night but this has really got me spooked.
    Please respond, Tom
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 11, 2010, 09:44 AM

Your main problem is you would have to go back and look at the conditions for that night. Anytime there is water involved and bridges you could be looking at tule fog. Its extremely dense. And street lights lose effect in it. Did your headlights shine back at you or were they absorbed by the fog?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 11, 2010, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    you could be looking at tully fog
    Do you mean this?

Tule fog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Internet Research Expert

May 11, 2010, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Yep.

Visibility in tule fog is usually less than an eighth of a mile (about 600 feet or 200 meters), but can be as little as a foot (about 30cm.) Visibility can vary rapidly; in only a few feet visibility can go from 10 feet to near zero.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 11, 2010, 10:09 AM
    Yep.

Visibility in tule fog is usually less than an eighth of a mile (about 600 feet or 200 meters), but can be as little as a foot (about 30cm.) Visibility can vary rapidly; in only a few feet visibility can go from 10 feet to near zero.
    I just LOVE learning about new stuff! Speedball's fog sounded weirder than tule fog though.
    Internet Research Expert

May 11, 2010, 10:25 AM
    I just LOVE learning about new stuff! Speedball's fog sounded weirder than tule fog though.
    He will have to tell us when he's on here. Its just I have driven many times in that type of fog and I can assure you it really keeps you on the edge of your seat.
    Eternal Plumber

May 11, 2010, 04:49 PM

Did your headlights shine back at you or were they absorbed by the fog?
    I could see nothing but the instrument, I thought I had popped a fuse, My headlights were just gone. I was completely blind to anything outside the car.
    The two cars in front of me simply disappeared in a blink into a gray cloud that turned black. I had started my turn off the road into the turn lane when it happened.
    I hit the edge of the medium curb about the time A car going the opposite direction. I was heading right for him He must have see my lights about ten feet away because I saw his. They were dim and it looked like gray smoke around the headlights. As I went farther I could see the road a few feet, enough to make the turn...
    Still no headlights. As I went down the slope from the highway onto my street all of a sudden the world got real bright and there were my headlights. Ya know writing about it is living it all over again. My memory 's crystal clear.
    In want to thank Dad of Three for responding. My companion, Teresa Marie, had me inn everything from a time warp to a alien abduction . Thanks for clearing , (I hope) that up.
    Thanks again, Tom
    Internet Research Expert

May 11, 2010, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    I could see nothing but the instrument, I thought I had popped a fuse, My headlights were just gone. I was completely blind to anything outside the car.
    The two cars in front of me simply disappeared in a blink into a gray cloud that turned black. I had started my turn off the road into the turn lane when it happened.
    I hit the edge of the medium curb about the time A car going the opposite direction. I was heading right for him He must have see my lights about ten feet away because I saw his. They were dim and it looked like gray smoke around the headlights. As I went farther I could see the road a few feet, enough to make the turn...
    Still no headlights. As I went down the slope from the highway onto my street all of a sudden the world got real bright and there were my headlights. Ya know writing about it is living it all over again. My memory 's crystal clear.
    In want to thank Dad of Three for responding. My companion, Teresa Marie, had me inn everything from a time warp to a alien abduction . Thanks for clearing , (I hope) that up.
    Thanks again, Tom
    Don't forget wondergirl. She speeled it right :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 11, 2010, 05:00 PM
    Dont forget wondergirl. She speeled it right :)
    And, by the way Tom, it's a median (not medium) strip. I speel reel good, califdad. I bake terrific chocolate chip cookies too.
    Eternal Plumber

May 11, 2010, 05:10 PM

Damm spill chicker!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 11, 2010, 05:16 PM
    I love every plumber I ever met -- and you too, Tom! (You spelled "medium" correctly, so a spellchecker wouldn't pick that up as a mistake -- it couldn't read your mind that you wanted to type "median.")
    Internet Research Expert

May 11, 2010, 05:27 PM
    I love every plumber I ever met -- and you too, Tom! (You spelled "medium" correctly, so a spellchecker wouldn't pick that up as a mistake -- it couldn't read your mind that you wanted to type "median.")
    Hey Hey, it could have been medium. After all this is Paranormal Phenomena . Hehehe.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 11, 2010, 05:44 PM
    Hey Hey, it could have been medium. After all this is Paranormal Phenomena . hehehe.
    Hmmm, true. Those ol' mediums hangin' out in the middle of the road during tule fogs... ya got to watch out for 'em.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Something strange is happening [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone tell me how I can find out who died in my house >Moved from Forum Help<

Black Cloud [ 1 Answers ]

I feel like I have a big black clowd that follows me through everyday. I have gotten to the point where I have become agoraphobic. I used to be outgoing, popular, and would just let things roll off my back. In a nutshell, I've been through a marriage that ended because of his blatent infidelity,...

View more questions Search