Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 10, 2010, 11:01 PM
    When Baking, What Are Some Alternatives to Vegetable Oil That You Might Like to Use?
    Hi, All!

Some of you know that I've been getting into baking things lately. Most of the recipes call for the addition of vegetable oil.

Are there any alternatives to vegetable oil that you might like to use when baking?

If so, why, please?

Thanks!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 11, 2010, 02:47 AM

Canola oil is a good alternative, but really, any sort of oil will do, even just melted butter.

My other half is a baker and he is racking his brain trying to think of some others, all they really use is canola or vegetable oil.

I like using butter, it adds a nice rich flavor to veggies.

Oh, and he said when baking things like cakes, always add the oil at the very last moment, it makes the cake more moist, especially with mud cakes.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2010, 03:48 AM
    I guess I have used more than just cooking oils, olive oil adds to certain foods cooked,peanut oil for the lower fat,just spray PAM on the pan for those light weight moments,but for the most part,I allow the food I am cooking to produce it's own oils/fats.Being that I love red meats,they produce their own.Other baking needs require different things though.The most common being regular cooking oil and butter(as shaz suggested)The olive oil and other types are for special recipes,not the run of the mill stuff I normally do.
    2labsmom Posts: 40, Reputation: 9

May 11, 2010, 07:28 AM

If you use box cake mixes there are all kinds of substitutes. Like yogurt, can pumpkin, soda pop or applesauce. Just replace the liquid and eggs with the same amount of one of the other ingredients. My mother-in-law does it all the time since she is on weight watchers to loose weight. And the cakes come out good!
    Uber Member

May 11, 2010, 11:11 AM
    Thanks for the responses, one and all!

What about brownies?
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2010, 06:34 PM

Canola oil, vegetable oil for cooking
    Peanut, canola for frying
    Sesame, olive oil for flavoring
    Butter or lard for baking
    :)
    Uber Member

May 11, 2010, 11:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    Canola oil, vegetable oil for cooking
    peanut, canola for frying
    sesame, olive oil for flavoring
    butter or lard for baking
    :)
    Can melted butter or melted lard actually be used in the mixes for things like brownies and types of cakes?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2010, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Can melted butter or melted lard actually be used in the mixes for things like brownies and types of cakes?

Thanks!
    I don't believe so, because they solidify when cold. Vegetable type oils don't.
    Uber Member

May 12, 2010, 12:42 PM
    So, would butter or lard be those that someone would put into things like baked vegetable recipes only?
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2010, 03:43 PM

Butter I use for flavor
    Lard I use for pie crusts and some frying
    Bacon grease is also good for flavor (I save mine)

If a recipe calls for a liquid oil, I use a liquid oil:)
    Uber Member

May 12, 2010, 09:29 PM
    I remember my mother saving the grease from bacon in coffee cans.
    testuser11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2010, 03:15 PM
    Butter
    CandyMelodies Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2011, 09:54 AM
    To replace oil you can use pineapple juice, applesauce or any puréed fruit, or plain yogurt. Replace it in equal parts. Also for the puréed fruit sometimes you can add skim milk to get the puréed consistency.

My best friend uses pineapple juice instead of oil in her chocolate cake mixes and it comes out perfectly moist and you can not taste a trace of pineapple at all.

Also instead of water you can use 7up or carbonated water which is also supposed to make the cake moist.

The best oil alternatives to vegetable oil are extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can I use in place of vegetable oil? [ 10 Answers ]

Well, the title says it all. My husband and I are having some friends over tonight, and we want to make brownies, but our box version calls for vegetable oil, and we don't have any in the apartment. What can I use in place of it?

Ratio of baking soda/baking powder to plainf flour [ 2 Answers ]

I have an Australian cookie recipe that calls for self raising flour and I do not have any.. what ratio of baking powder should I add to the regular flour to make it "self raising' Many thanks

Baking powder and baking soda [ 2 Answers ]

In baking what are the differences between baking powder and baking soda? The reason is that one time I used the wrong one in a cake recipe and it did not come out right.

Is a tomato a fruit or vegetable? [ 13 Answers ]

Please give answers, comments and/or explanations for 4th graders to understand. Thank you

View more questions Search