Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blondiechika05 Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Dec 6, 2006, 07:40 AM
    Home Exercises
    For several months, I was taking a 30-45 minute walk around my neighborhood as my exercise for the day. However, it is now too cold out for me to do that. I would like to know what kind of exercise I can do in the house to substitute for the walking that does not involve spending money. There is an exercise bike in the house but my parents use that and I have a really hard time adjusting it to my height. What can I do other than stretches or what can I do to combat the cold so I can continue my walks? A coat doesn't seem to be enough.
    colonel000036 Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Dec 11, 2006, 12:10 PM
    Find a way to make or buy at a thrift store a stair step box. Watching the tube and going along with the aerobics you would be amazed at how well a small step box will increase your heartrate. I teach PE and my kids are constantly amazed at the games we play and how simple stuff made fun can get the heart rate up. Don't get it going too fast. Stay within your Target heart rate or you are wasting your time. 220-age X 60% =lower range... 220-age X 80% upper end Don't go above or below the two numbers. Good luck and don't quit.
    monniw Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 02:51 PM
    If you have stairs, walk up and down the stairs. Exercising at home can be boring. This might be cheesey, but try renting a tae-bo video and doing it in front of your TV. I hear it's fairly entertaining and is a good work out.
    colonel000036 Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Dec 14, 2006, 04:35 PM
    Moniw is right about working out at home. I have found that the most important thing about working out is finding a routine that is reasonable and something I can stick to. If I am only going to workout one or two days a week, while it is better than nothing, I want to make the most out of that time or increase the number of days per week. If I sustain a program for thirty minutes a day watching a favorite show or special CD (which is something you would be doing anyway) it could be something to look forward to rather than another dreaded task.

Colonel
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Dec 16, 2006, 08:36 AM
    I think the key is movement. I usually get my exercise on a treadmill. But sometimes I just do random exercises in front of the TV. Try creating your own aerobic exercise program. You might even come up with one you can sell.
    paulthebob Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Dec 30, 2006, 03:39 PM
    I know you said that putting on a coat doesn't help... but a coat is not a tool of magic.
    I do a lot of powerboating, including over winter.. and the sea here is very very cold.. the trick is not one thick layer, but maybe 3 or 4 thin layers. It's the air that is trapped between the layers that insulates you.

Pile on a few more T's, a fleece, a coat and then hit the streets again. Also, walk faster. Porridge would be good too, as this is a slow release energy that will fuel you and keep you warmer for longer.

This may not be an answer to your problem, but it's certainly something worth a try.
    noeymc Posts: 77, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2006, 04:31 PM
    Do sit ups and puush ups and lay on your back and act like your running it helps I am a runner trust me its how I stay in shape during the off season (winter) and walking only do so much you need to speed up it will help you a lot more just power walk... then jog . And go slowly

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tummy toning and exercises [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 5'6" 19 years old and 135-140 pounds. I'm not looking to loose a ton of weight or anything but I was wondering what exercises can be done to flatten your belly... I don't feel overweight I just want to have a nice toned mid-driff... could you also tell me how they are done (the exercises) thank...

Exercises and heart disease [ 3 Answers ]

I think I have problems with my heart because I have chest pains and left arm pains too,also arythmic beats of the heart.but I love bodybuilding and I am a beginner in it ,do 45 minutes including 15 minutes warm-up harm my heart more.my barbell is 40 kg and my dummbell 8 kg

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

Exercises to do when you are overweight [ 3 Answers ]

My sister is very overweight around the middle but her back stops her from doing sit ups , she can't walk more than about 20 steps and she has to stop. She had back surgery 2 years ago and she is still in pain. She is 58 yrs old and has had panic attacks and anxiety attacks when you least expect...

Quadracep Exercises [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to strenghthen my quads using an at home exercise. I don't have access to a gym. Any suggestions? Thanks. >>>Marco

View more questions Search