Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2006, 07:40 AM
    Christmas and PC
    In Britain, we are hearing on the radio that 3/4 of all employers in the UK do not allow Christmas decorations to be put up for fear of offending other religions.

As an atheist who enjoys Christmas for the giving and merriment, I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

I would like to hear from people who are not Christian, who do not celebrate Christmas, and I would like to know if you do find Christmas decorations offensive.

Also, do those of you who are Christian get offended when other religions get days off like Islam does for Ramadan?

Personally I think that this is Political Correctness gone mad, with Christian beliefs actually being suppressed simply because it is the majority religion.

What do you think?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2006, 07:53 AM
    Yes, it is political correctness gone mad in so many cases.

I am Christian.
    I am not offended at all by representations of other people's faith.

This IS the holiday season, so there should be no problem with recognizing it. Decorations and merriment is good for everyone regardless of his or her religious views

... The creative companies and business owners are decorating anyway - and calling it holiday decorations or even further away from Religion: End of Year, or New Year's, decorations.

Happy Holidays, Everyone!
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Dec 6, 2006, 02:27 PM
    In Britain, we are hearing on the radio that 3/4 of all employers in the UK do not allow Christmas decorations to be put up for fear of offending other religions.

Britiain and the British are probably the most tolerant people in the world, so it is surprising that so many firms have - if your report is accuirate - adopted this position.

As an atheist who enjoys Christmas for the giving and merriment, I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

It is a puzzlement.

I would like to hear from people who are not Christian, who do not celebrate Christmas, and I would like to know if you do find Christmas decorations offensive.

My Muslim neighbours put a Christmas tree in their front window, lit and decorated, exchange Christmas cards and Christmas presents and enjoy everything about Christmas (including curried turkey!) except that they do not accept Jesus as the Son of God, but honour him as a great prophet.

Also, do those of you who are Christian get offended when other religions get days off like Islam does for Ramadan?

I am never offended at the religious festivals and celebrations of those of other faiths. I enjoy them, and acknowledge the value of their faith to them without feeling the need to slam them down, deprecate, do or say anything intolerant or prejudiced. My personal faith is not threatened thereby.

Personally I think that this is Political Correctness gone mad, with Christian beliefs actually being suppressed simply because it is the majority religion.

I disagree with your reasoning on this point. I am inclined to believe that it is overcaution in matters not clearly understood by the determiners of such business policies.

[/quote]

A Merry Christmas
    A Happy Ramadan
    A Happy Hanukah
    A Joyous Festivus
    A Rocking Saturnalia
    A Blazing Yule Log, etc., etc., etc.,

to all at Askme.helpdesk.

M:)RGANITE
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 6, 2006, 02:32 PM
    Bah Humbug to the lot of you
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Dec 6, 2006, 03:00 PM
    We am not considered a Christian or perhaps ex-Catholics, if there is such a thing? Some years we have not celebrated in any manner at all. The first time it was very liberating to "cancel Christmas" for us. LOL This year is pretty minimal other than the socializing and a small live tree we planted with nature friendly decorations for the birds (we're going "green" here LOL) but Good Heavens what other people do is other people's business!! To h-e-double- hockey-sticks with PC too! I say decorate the tarnation out of everything -- who are we to put the elves out of work?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 6, 2006, 04:07 PM
    Morganite disagrees: Why the sour note?
    Well if you'd worked 12 successive christmasses in Retail (front of house) then you'd understand where I'm coming from here ;)

Luckily My daughter is teaching me what it's all about.
    Arctodos Simos Posts: 22, Reputation: 5

Apr 15, 2007, 04:10 PM
    As one who follows what some call a Pagan belief I have no problem with people putting up decorations to celebrate whichever festival they are celebrating, as I fully support anyone's right to follow any belief they Will.
    The things that do annoy me (and I don't agree with) are the forms of decoration etc. that do not give you the option of ignoring them, if you wish to do so. By this I mean the kind of house decorations that that pump out enough light to brightly illuminate a half-mile radius or the singing/talking Santas & reindeer constantly playing Christmas tunes of spouting Christmas platitudes all day and night (& yes I have had experience of this) or the constant playing of Christmas tunes in shops and through sound systems on the street (I wouldn't mind if those who did this intermixed these tunes with others of a different type).
    As for your question about PC, yes I do think those companies have gone over the top. I think subtlety rather than negation could achieve the desired result.
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

May 4, 2007, 04:34 AM
    The attack on Christmas in the US gets worse ever year... they are trying to get rid of Christians... but it's OK to talk about islam or other religions. You know, the double standard.
    Arctodos Simos Posts: 22, Reputation: 5

May 5, 2007, 07:40 AM
    To me it is important for everyone to follow their wills and beliefs.
    The problems I have are when another's belief is forced upon someone by others or certain beliefs are considered s social taboo, whether through misunderstanding or bigoted behavior or through a misapplied sense of equality or attitude (P.C. etc.).
    I firmly believe that everyone has the right to hold to whichever belief that is their will and that no one has the right to gainsay their right to this.
    In summary everyone has the right to celebrate their own belief, and it's festivals as long does not include forcing others to follow it and not their own beliefs.
    Concerning some points that seem to have become current in this debate, I do not believe that murder and terrorism by certain fanatics, within various beliefs, are a legitimate forms of expression for various beliefs. Rather that they tend to be based on the use of parts of the tenets of the beliefs, taken out of context or given an interpretation that reflects the attitudes of those using them and then used to legitimize their actions.
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

Nov 23, 2007, 03:58 PM
    There is a similar thread to this on the Christian board- check it out.
    I don't find decorations of any kind offensive- I'm not an atheist, more of an agnostic- but I still celebrate Christmas. The spirit of the season, the energy, the time spent with those we love and care about... it's nice to take a day, stop everything, and just enjoy the company of those around us.
    In all honesty, I think people who place so much focus on being offended by these things really are just looking for something to complain about. People who are offended usually just want to feel intelligent- if they're 'offended' it means they stand for something... and that makes them a better person-
    Like people complaining about how offended they are by people saying 'happy holidays' rather than 'merry christmas', and boycotting certain stores for not saying 'merry christmas' as though it's the only holiday this time of year.
    To each his own- I just love the weather, the lights, the decorations, the festivities, the time spent with those we may not always see... and yes, I'll say it. The presents.
    I'm not christian- but I'm not offended in the slightest by anyone else's celebration of what they believe.
    I think that's part of what makes this time of year so interesting and special.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tell us what you got for christmas [ 25 Answers ]

Get any good gifts? Did you get what you asked for or was it a complete surprise?

Christmas Organising [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know of any good software for creating Christmas card lists that can also print envelopes / labels and is compatible with Outlook address book

Christmas Film? [ 1 Answers ]

Need help trying to name film title. Saw it as a kid its an Christmas film. All remember is family live in like cabin in the snow, father was something to do with oil company I believe. Children somehow end up with visiting Santa. Can't remember how they get there. Any ideas?

Christmas is almost here [ 4 Answers ]

As Christmas is almost here, what are you looking forward to the most? We are putting up our tree Sunday after church; it is a tradition, to do this on the second Sunday of the month. I can never wait to get it in the house. We always cook a large meal and invite friends and family to eat and...

Christmas [ 92 Answers ]

I was wondering what peoploe think about organizations like the ACLU trying to get christian icons removed from public schools. They go as far as saying that even the colors red and green count as icons for christmas and should not be used. It seems to me they are a bunch of people who fight for...

View more questions Search