Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 9, 2010, 11:41 PM
    When You "Bleach" Skin With Skin Lightening, Is That Like Bleach for the Laundry?
    Hi, All!

Okay, please don't laugh! I really have no idea if the type of bleach that might be used for skin lightening or whitening is the same kind that might be used for the laundry!

I mean, people that lighten or whiten their skin talk about bleaching it. So, I would assume that some kind of bleach is being used.

If it's not the same kind as that which would be used for the laundry, what kind is it, please?

Thanks!
    sara_uk Posts: 245, Reputation: 26

May 10, 2010, 02:54 AM

Well same concept different methods, although some use the same method as laundry bleaching. The active ingredient in house hold bleach is hydrogen peroxide, and some bleach with it even though it is very dangerous.
    Mainly skin bleaching done using Hydroquinone and other ingredients.
    mistyjane Posts: 271, Reputation: 59

May 10, 2010, 04:22 AM

In Africa there are some people using this to bleach there skin. This is very dangerous.
    As Sara said we mainly use products of Hydroquinone family which includes mequinol and monobenzone.
    Uber Member

May 10, 2010, 01:35 PM
    Hi, sara_uk and mistyjane!

So, do the products that contain mequinol and monobenzone cause the skin to be thinner or depleted in some way, please?

Thanks!
    redlocks77 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2010, 04:09 AM
    Studies show that hydroquinone is a carcinogen and it is also linked to other liver diseases. I wouldn't recommend using it.
    Uber Member

May 12, 2010, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by redlocks77 View Post
    Studies show that hydroquinone is a carcinogen and it is also linked to other liver diseases. I wouldn't recommend using it.
    Hi, redlocks77!

Do you have some sources for that information, please? If you could provide them, it would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    redlocks77 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2010, 02:16 AM

I've read it everywhere. You can try searching in Google for hydroquinone.
    And here's the link for wikipedia on hydroquinone: Hydroquinone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The ban on hydroquinone:
    The Truth About Hydroquinone by MedicineNet.com
    More articles on it:
    The Dangers of Hydroquinone

Hope that helps.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2010, 12:01 PM
    Thank you for the sources, redlocks77!
    sara_uk Posts: 245, Reputation: 26

May 14, 2010, 10:06 AM

Lol Wikipedia is reliable source for information!
    MAHARANI Posts: 800, Reputation: 39

May 15, 2010, 03:43 AM

Clough,

Here is some more info for your research. Are you planning on writing a book on this subject then?

http://www.eastman.com/Literature_Center/D/D171.pdf
    Uber Member

May 15, 2010, 11:38 AM
    Hi, MAHARANI!

No, I'm not planning on writing a book. I'm just very interested in the subject about particularly skin lightening, because some people seem so "taken up" by the subject.

I had never heard of skin lightening until coming to this site. Tanning, yes. But, not skin lightening.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best way to bleach skin and Still have a smooth and even tone skin? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been bleaching my skin but I have darker knuckles and elbows etc and uneven skin tone. Can some one please tell me which skin bleaching lotion to use to have an even skin tone and get darker knuckles, elbows, etc and also best way to bleach skin ...

Can I use 5% Monobnzone to bleach my skin? [ 20 Answers ]

@SaraUk and @ Swallow, can I use 5% Monobenzone just to bleach myself? I don't really want to depig my skin. Please also tell me what percentages that you guys have used? How long is it going to take before to see results from using the 5% Monobenzone? Thanks.

Wrap in skin bleach [ 18 Answers ]

My friends in england use plastic wrap to penetrate creams better anyone else heard of this

Does society prefer "light skin" or "dark skin?" [ 12 Answers ]

Hello To All, My name is linksys2000. I am new to Ask Me Help Desk....well somewhat new, nowadays. However, I've found this forum to be extremely informative and exciting! Thanks for providing in depth information on various topics and taking the time to keep everyone informed. This will be...

Benoquin, Monobenzone, Makari, Meladerma, and Cysteine"Body Bleach" [ 10 Answers ]

Hello Guys, My name is linksys2000. I am new to Ask Me Help Desk. I find this forum extremely informative and exciting! Thanks for providing in depth information on various topics and taking the time to keep everyone informed. I am very interested in skin lightening. However, after many...

View more questions Search