Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask

View Poll Results: Skin Lightening and Skin Cancer. What Do You Think?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think that certain skin lightening products make a person more likely to contract skin cancer.

2 20.00%
  • I don't think that any skin lightening products make a person more likely to contract skin cancer.

1 10.00%
  • I think that using skin lightening products of any kind is okay.

0 0%
  • I think that only certain skin lightening products are okay to use.

4 40.00%
  • I don't think that using skin lightening products in any way is okay.

0 0%
  • I like my skin just the way that it is!

4 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 9, 2010, 11:11 PM
    Does Using Skin Lightening Products Make People More Likely to Get Skin Cancer?
    Hi, All!

Okay. A lot of people use skin lightening/whitening products. It's a big business in many parts of the world.

People who eat too much all the time and not burning off enough calories by exercising might run the risk of getting overweight.

People who smoke tobacco products run the risk of getting lung, throat and/or mouth cancer. Or, any combination of those and maybe other types of cancer as well.

People that drink too much alcohol might irreversibly damage their livers and minds. Also, not to mention the myriad of other problems that might arise because of drinking too much alcohol.

People who use tanning beds a lot and get too much sunlight might contract skin cancer.

People who love to get a tan and "worship" being in the sun to do so, run the risk of really looking like they have wrinkled skin like a dried prune as they age, mainly because of over-exposure to ultraviolet rays and the drying out of the skin.

People who pierce parts of their bodies run the risk of maybe getting keloids or other types of sores.

Many people damage and traumatize their bodies on the inside as well as on the outside.

It's understandable, and I think that most people would agree, that certain substances and ways of trying to improve an appearance, when used only in moderation might not be bad and also might even have some benefits if they're only being used in moderation. It would seem also, that many substances and ways of improving appearance, when overused, are when a lot of people get into trouble in various ways.

What makes skin lightening or whitening so different? Is it truly safe to alter the color of our skin? Are there potential risks? Are taking those risks really worth it? Is it just a big business where the potential for profit drives the people who profit from it to seek ways to hide the real facts about it?

What's your opinion? Please note, that you can vote for more than one section on the Poll.

What also might be your sources for information as to whether skin lightening or whitening is okay or not, please?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

May 11, 2010, 11:35 AM
    I know that this thread has been viewed by people.

Don't really know why there haven't been any responses.

Maybe bumping it up when more people are around will help.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 11, 2010, 11:45 PM

No comments... strange.

I voted for the last option... I like my skin the way it is.
    Well, it's a bit of a lie because I don't really, but I don't feel the need to change it... it's who I am.

I think that certain products can increase skin cancer.
    I know there are products out there that take the melanin out of your skin, and melanin is what protects us from the sun.

That is why darker skinned people tend to get skin cancers on the hands and feet, or anywhere the skin appears lighter... strip that color away and you increase the risk.

Of coarse if people are intentionally lightening their skin they spend as little time in the sun as possible anyway or cover up in a lot of sunscreen.
    Uber Member

May 12, 2010, 12:09 AM
    Hi, shazamataz!

Yeah. I was hoping this thread might be a "hot" one! Not in the negative sense, but that it might be one where people would want to respond, since the skin lightening thing seems to be a "hot" topic in so many ways!

Maybe others might be afraid to post what they think because of the popularity or maybe even unpopularity of skin lightening and because they might have friends on this site who they would be afraid of offending? I don't really know. That was just a thought.

I tried to be fair and balanced with my original post as well as the poll. Do you think that I was, please?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

May 12, 2010, 12:45 AM

Yes I think it was fair, you covered all bases with the options.

I would be interested to hear the opinions of people more knowledgeable in lightening products.
    Uber Member

May 12, 2010, 12:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post

I would be interested to hear the opinions of people more knowledgeable in lightening products.
    Thank you for letting me know that you think that it's fair.

The opinions of those knowledgeable is something that I would like to see also!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 12, 2010, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post

I agree with Shaz. You did cover all of the bases in an even way.

I chose "I like my skin" because there isn't much else I can do with it. I burn instead of tanning. The multitude of freckles I get with any exposure to sunlight, I have come to accept and live with. Growing up, the only freckle remover I heard of was lemon juice. Lemon juice and sunlight do not mix so I stayed away from it.

I would think that a topic like this one could be good for those who truly want to share their knowledge.
    Uber Member

May 12, 2010, 12:58 PM
    Hi, Cat1864!

The lemon juice thing brings back memories for me! I remember hearing about it (I might have even used it), when I was a kid.

I had a lot of freckles! Even a kid who has a lot of freckles might be a point for some other kids to use to make fun of that person.

Thanks!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2010, 01:10 PM

I like my skin as it is and that is how I voted.

I am a white woman so that kind of puts me out of the mix.

My girlfriend who is black hates that her friends spend so much money on these products and she says they do not work.
    According to her the only way to do this successfully(without blotching,burning) is to have it done by a professional.

I do know that anything you put on your body topically has the potential risk of getting into your system.
    Since many of these products are not FDA approved I question what the potential dangers might be.
    They are not tested and therefore it would cause me to pause and consider the danger.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2010, 08:28 AM

I have spent a fair amount of money on skin products, but only to correct actual problems with my skin (acne mostly)
    It's crazy the amount of money some people spend just to get a few shades lighter, and sadly some people don't care if it is good for them or not.
    I'm not saying everyone is like that but there are some people out there.
    Same with skin tanning as a lot of 'lighteners' seem to bring up every time a white person posts on 'their' board. Some people take it too far... spending hours out in the sun and looking like leather... yuck.
    Uber Member

May 17, 2010, 01:40 PM
    Anyone else here interested in participating in the poll?
    SouthAfricacute Posts: 140, Reputation: 18

May 17, 2010, 02:06 PM

Hey Clough

I think,well hence I say I think,my opinoin.

1.) People are most likely thinking your being conesending.considering,you don't use them and all and its kind of not your department.

2.) And maybe it's the way you've titled it "skin cancer likely to cause cancer" even if it where I'd like to at least to ingnore that fact!

3.)And I'm sure your weren't be conesending,I honestly believe you want to widen you knowledge on skin lightening,wich is fantastic. Maybe one day ill come over to the small business department and you'll be as warm as you are now!and advise me on how to grow my small business.

4.)And clough my Vote on this,NO,skin lightening can't increase your risk of skin cancer if your doing it properly and responsibly

5.)Hugs too Clough for wanting to know more about this topic.mighty big of you!
    Uber Member

May 17, 2010, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthAfricacute View Post
    Hey Clough

I think,well hence I say I think,my opinoin.

1.) People are most likely thinking your being conesending.considering,you don't use them and all and its kinda not your department.

How would you know that I don't use them? Maybe I do and I'm just wanting to be clear about the true facts.

As far as my "department" is concerned, I'm involved in the entire site in many ways.

2.) And maybe its the way you've titled it "skin cancer likely to cause cancer" even if it where I'd like to at least to ingnore that fact!

Please read the title carefully. I didn't word it the way that you have.

3.)And I'm sure your weren't be conesending,I honestly believe you want to widen you knowlege on skin lightening,wich is fantastic. Maybe one day ill come over to the small business department and you'll be as warm as you are now!and advise me on how to grow my small business.

Sure, I want the facts based upon reliable and verifiable sources.

Come on over to whatever forum topic area might be my concentration when I'm on the site! I'll definitely be polite!

4.)And clough my Vote on this,NO,skin lightening can't increase your risk of skin cancer if your doing it properly and responsibly

But, maybe some products might put a person more at risk, no matter how well they followed the directions?

5.)Hugs too Clough for wanting to know more about this topic.mighty big of you!
    Thanks, SouthAfricacute! :)
    SouthAfricacute Posts: 140, Reputation: 18

May 17, 2010, 02:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Thanks, SouthAfricacute! :)
    Pleasure Mr Clough!
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2010, 12:13 AM
    Just a reminder that there's not all that many days left until this poll will close. That's in case anyone might still want to participate in it.

Thanks!
    EggoMini Posts: 161, Reputation: 5

Jul 28, 2010, 02:13 AM

I haven't posted here in a while. I was reminded of AMHD on another site today. I voted that some products are safe. IMO, a line should be drawn between people using items like sunblock, peels, & perhaps lighteners to lose a farmer's tan and the people who are attempting to reincarnate themselves entirely due to inferiority complexes. Two separate POVs & mindsets.

I should include a third tiny category of SL prod user that's akin to body modifiers that like tattoos, piercings, earlobe stretching, corsetry etc. These people seem to be after changes that seem radical to some but it's in that Body Mod. Spirit.. not for popularity or success... they simply dig the aesthetic.

To get back to the topic, skin lightening agents are also used for conditions like melasma. Ultimately we trust the dr.s or manufacturers about many products.. food, autos, househould cleaners etc.<shrug> It's up to the individ adult which risks they choose to take.

I've been reading about this topic (and correcting a wicked farmer's tan and melasma) over the last year and honestly I still cringe when I read the posts that cry "OMG, I'm just too dark!. I want to look like so and so[plug in lighter-skinned celeb name]!"

OTOH a flat-out ban on SL discussion and advice would be a disservice to people with sun damage, dark elbows and knees, age spots, melasma, and scars. Another issue is that people are using some of the same items in different ways, amounts, on diff. body areas, and for ,of course, very different reasons. A blanket ban on these products wouldn't only affect Susie-with-the-Naomi Campbell-genetics-who-desperately-wants-to-look-like-Beyonce Knowles. A ban would also affect:

Auntie Em and her age spotted hands,

Jill with the melasma/cholasma from pregnancy or birth control pills,

Pam with the bad habit of leaning on her elbows,

Barbara with the major freckles,

Diane the ex-sun worshipper, and

Farmer Jack with the nifty t-shirt permatan.<shrug>

I don't want to get high-horsey but FTR, I can't personally imagine using lighteners all over my body indefinitely... as in 'forever and ever amen' because of some insane sense of inferiority. I feel irked and cursed enough to have melasma and I'm searching for some sort of internal cure. I'm also an ex-tanner (not just normal exposure but laying out with the Hawaiian Tropic) so who am I to really judge those who want to make these different sorts of changes?

All of that said, I truly regret being foolish in not learning more about & protecting my skin. I assumed that being naturally dark made me sunproof and I'm paying for that mistake. Hopefully the long-time, head-to-toe users of these high-powered lighteners won't have future regrets.

No matter what you do or don't do, remember, Sunscreen or Sunblock for everyone!!

Fin.
    _213Chanqe Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Jul 10, 2011, 01:11 PM
    Doesn't smoking cause lung cancer ? Won't cell phones & radiation cause skin cancer? Won't we ALL Die Eventually -_________________-

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the best skin lightening products? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum. I need some help. My prom is approximately two and a half month away (counting from today May 04th 2009 lol) and I would like to whiten my skin 2-3 shades lighter than it is now for my prom. (im an african-american and my skin is the same colour as Chris Brown's...

Skin lightening products [ 4 Answers ]

I need advice on natural skin lightening products like plants and herbs that I can use for my skin. I am a black african woman.

Skin lightening products [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir/Madam, Does it right that the skin lightening pills really makes your skin more lighter? Does the Gluthatione whitening pill with its ingredients (alpha lipoic acid, grapeseed, etc... ) make your skin light if taking it regularly or does it have a side effect in health or body? My...

View more questions Search