Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lizzie Brookes Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2010, 10:55 PM
    Difficult Essay Question
    Hi

I'm obviously not asking you to answer or help me answer this but I wonder if you had any tips on how to tackle this question?

"The Courtly Lover might be slave to his mistress but the poet is master of his text". Discuss.

Answer With reference to "Song sung by Egisthus and Clytemnestra" and "Dido in Love".

Thanks.
    bendingleconte Posts: 112, Reputation: 9

Aug 30, 2010, 03:34 PM

Break it into 2 parts: 1,The lover is a slave to his mistress and 2, the poet is master of his text.

In the first play (Agamemnon) of a series called Orestia, Aegisthus marries Clytemnestra while her husband is away at war. Aegisthus does so to become king, but is really slave to Clytemnestra's evil bidding. (a puppet to her). Also, they set forth an event fated to restore the blood-line to the rightful heir and are both murdered by Agamemnon's son.

Dido is simply stricken with love-sickness beyond anything... clearly jaded from her past.

Overall theme, lovers are blinded by love. All logic and reason goes out the window.

Conversely, think about a poet. Who is s/he slave to? HE is the one who WRITES the story. He has ultimate control over his creation. I hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difficult [ 1 Answers ]

I need help my question is not in the form of a riddle it has 3 clues an I need possible answers please The 3 clues are it is not in many homes, millions of it is used every day, it gets slipy when wet. There is a sound that goes with it it souds like a shower mat being pulled up and this is...

Difficult Question? [ 4 Answers ]

I`ve put some serious information together in that I find science, Mathematics Religion and spirituality have been manipulated. This has far reaching effects on what governments are trying to sell us as "New Technology". The basis of which is non-lethal weapon systems and mind control. Despite...

View more questions Search