Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ramjet1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2010, 06:42 PM
    Do I have to have a funeral
    My question is do I have to have a funeral, I'm not leaving much so I don't want it spent on something that is irrelevant to me. I am listed as an organ donor, so can't whatever is left over just be disposed of by the hospital or research centre. I don't see the point in spending thousands on a pointless exercise.

Email address removed Fr Chuck"
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2010, 06:54 PM

You can arrange what you want done with your body ( perhaps to medical school or to a crime lab body farm to be used in science if you want. Or arrange it to be cremated.

Make sure your heirs know of your wishes.

Remember the funeral is not for you ( your dead) it is a closing for the people who care for you.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2010, 06:57 PM

There is no requirement for a funeral in any state. The easiest solution is to donate your remains to a medical school.

You echo my sentiments exactly but the problem lies with the survivors (relatives, etc). They cannot prevent your action but they should be fully informed and prepared as they will not have the traditional means of expressing their grief that the funeral provides.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2010, 07:02 PM

Well personally I have left instructions for a party to celebrate my life, big meal, all the music I loved and to celebrate life itself.
    Life to me is a journey and death is merely another door leading to the rest of the journey. No sadness for me please.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

May 9, 2010, 07:42 PM
    I had this question myself a while back. I didn't want to be taken to the funeral home, and I didn't want a funeral.

It is possible to avoid it all if you make arrangements in your will, to have your next of kin, arrange transport to a crematorium. Once the task is done, the ashes are picked up by whoever you have selected.

I'm with Fr_Chuck on this one. A celebration afterwards!! My favourite songs, good food, and lots of laughter because that is one thing I have in common with all my close friends. No boo-hooing.

I'm thinking I might even do a video of myself to have played, but light hearted.

Good luck with your plans.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 9, 2010, 07:58 PM
    Hi, ramjet1!

Do you have relatives with whom you are close as far as there being a relationship, please?

Thanks!
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

May 22, 2010, 09:49 PM

I want a closed casket with a framed glamour shot of me sitting on top of the casket.

I think donating your body to Science is a good idea. But if there are heirs, they may not like the idea.

The soul has gone on and the body is just that, the shell that held your soul.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 22, 2010, 10:39 PM

I have talked to many people who believe that the cost of death by the family left behind is not worth it. That they would rather people remember them for who they were.

I am beginning to think that Fr. Chuck has it right. Have a party, a celebration, music and food and drink and just have a big smash of a party.

Why be sad, the only people who are truly sad are the ones that they believe there is nothing to look forward to but people who believe in life after life, know that life is just the beginning when we cross over to the other side.
    Uber Member

May 22, 2010, 10:57 PM

You should do whatever you like. You've lived your life and you should be allowed to make your own decision about what you want to do with your remains.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 24, 2010, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    I want a closed casket with a a framed glamour shot of me sitting on top of the casket.

I think donating your body to Science is a good idea. But if there are heirs, they may not like the idea.

The soul has gone on and the body is just that, the shell that held your soul.

I get great delight out of your posts to begin with... but read this over again.

Do you want a glamour photo taken of you sitting on top of a casket OR do you want your glamour photo displayed on the casket?

I get this image of you, all dolled up, posing on top of a casket.

At any rate - whatever OP (or anyone else wants or decides to do) put it in writing and put it in a safe place. I knew my husband's wishes, he had them written down and notarized and I still had a problem with his family. It's not as easy sometimes as it sounds.
    Uber Member

May 24, 2010, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I get great delight out of your posts to begin with ... but read this over again.

Do you want a glamour photo taken of you sitting on top of a casket OR do you want your glamour photo displayed on the casket?

I get this image of you, all dolled up, posing on top of a casket.

At any rate - whatever OP (or anyone else wants or decides to do) put it in writing and put it in a safe place. I knew my husband's wishes, he had them written down and notarized and I still had a problem with his family. It's not as easy sometimes as it sounds.
    I am laughing so hard right now.. oh my heavens... JudyKay.. give me a moment! You just made my day. I did word that wrong. But it would be funny, me posed on the top of the casket wearing my Mickey Mouse PJ's... holding a picture of me. Thanks for making me laugh till I've cried.
    Now my daughter is laughing.. saying, "Mom you do have that nice navy blue dress, we could use that"... Okay.. You are just so funny.. Thanks
    I'm wiping the tears from my eyes. Laughter is good for the soul.
    troublemakerman Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

May 29, 2010, 07:46 PM

My wife was cremated and in the urn is space for my ashes. Then my kids can do what ever they want with the urn.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2010, 08:15 PM

Upon my demise I have contracted with a taxidermist. With instructions that he restore to life-like condition, place me in a Lazy boy recliner, dressed in bathrobe, hair uncombed, with Budweiser beer in right hand. I will then be delivered by UPS to the home of my x-wife.
    Uber Member

May 29, 2010, 08:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Upon my demise I have contracted with a taxidermist. With instructions that he restore to life-like condition, place me in a Lazy boy recliner, dressed in bathrobe, hair uncombed, with Budweiser beer in right hand. I will then be delivered by UPS to the home of my x-wife.

I know there will be a standing room only crowd at my funeral. It won't be because I'm that well liked... people will want to see how I look with my mouth shut. They'll be surprised to see a glamour shot of me. Closed casket. I hate it when people say ."doesn't he or she look good'. I want to say , "no they don't! Nobody looks good dead.:)

Dr. Bill... be sure to have a note in your hand that says, "Honey..I'm baaaack"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Funeral costs [ 3 Answers ]

What is the typical amount one would be charged for an embalming, small... I mean 6 people, small service and a cremation? Urn was nothing special...

Funeral Assignment [ 2 Answers ]

I just couldn't find exact category for my question. I'm beneficiary for someone in a Nursing home. She is dying. I have been asked by hospice to make some arrangements. The Insurance company has a very small policy for her but it will take a few weeks to Send me the check, they said. They...

Funeral Home [ 8 Answers ]

Can Funeral Homes in NY request autopsies on a dead person? I was told that and I am verifying. I thought only Coroner's or Medical Examiners could do it. Thanks

The Funeral [ 4 Answers ]

A man was leaving a café with his morning coffee when he noticed a most Unusual funeral procession approaching the nearby cemetery. A long black Hearse was followed by a second long black hearse about 50 feet behind The first. Behind the second hearse was a solitary man walking a Pit-bull on a...

Not going to a funeral? [ 6 Answers ]

So my "best" friend and I haven't really been getting along lately. I really think that it's the turning point in our lives (going to college) and we're going separate ways. We just seem to be changing really fast, or it's just me. Her cousin committed suicide and she doesn't want to go to the...

View more questions Search