Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edea07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2010, 03:54 PM
    Why is my hair falling out so much I recently gave birth and lately I've been tired
    Hi Im 23 years old for almost 2 weeks now, strands of my hair have been falling out like hair balls and its not breakage. Every time I take a shower when I brush it or when I take out my hair tie. I gave birth 3 months ago and lately I've been really tired all I want to do is sleep. Im worried because this hasn't happen before not even when I gave birth to my first child.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2010, 05:31 AM

Every baby is different, and don't forget that this time, you have a young child to look after, so you simply can't take as many naps as when it was just you and a single baby.

The hair loss is normal. When you are pregnant, your hair falls out less than usual, which is why pregnant women usually have thick glossy hair. After the birth, it starts to revert to normal, and there's a period where it all seems to be coming out at once. I promise, it isn't. Your hair will stabilise where it was before you get pregnant.

Rest as much as you can, rope in everyone who can do a bit of the work so you can take a break, eat well and sleep as much as possible. With a young baby, you know you will be waking up during the night, so make allowances by going to bed earlier.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 04:17 PM

Your hair loss is normal. Many women notice hair loss about 3 months after they've had a baby.

This loss is related to hormones. During pregnancy, high levels of certain hormones cause the body to keep hair that would normally fall out. When the hormones return to pre-pregnancy levels, that hair falls out and the normal cycle of growth and loss starts again.

Be patient - you'll be back to normal soon! :)
    holly_penyo Posts: 81, Reputation: 11

May 26, 2010, 02:12 AM

The same thing happened to me. Start taking vitamins, they really do help with the hair loss.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I recently gave my Ball Python a new terrarium. It has a waterfall and pond, and we w [ 3 Answers ]

I recently gave my Ball Python a new terrarium. It has a waterfall and pond, and we were wondering if she would eat one of the bottom feeder fish? We wanted to put one in to eat the algae off the glass. Thank you for reading, Eclipse1220

Just gave birth, am I pregnant again? [ 5 Answers ]

I gave birth Sept 2 2008, I think I got my period da last week in November. I have not had one since, and I also took 3 pregnancy test and they came back negative does this mean I'm pregnant and if not is there something wrong with me?

Just gave birth [ 1 Answers ]

I just gave birth to my son on September 1st, 2009. My husband and I have been having sex a lot. I am breastfeeding, and I have had one period but I have a really strong sense that I am pregnant. My lower abdomin is pretty swollen and I can't suck in my stomach like I could 2 weeks ago! What are...

Dog just gave birth [ 2 Answers ]

My dog just had four puppies three days ago but she won't eat anything but cheerios. I tried everything mixing the cheerios with dog food, dry and soft. My vet said she need all the food she can get because she is feeding the puppies. She needs to it other healthy stuff too. What can I do? Please...

View more questions Search