Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    georgemguitarist Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2010, 02:16 PM
    Career Path/Progression
    Hi All
    I graduated from university and completed my masters in electronic and communication engineering and for couple of years, worked for a comms company as a software developer in C/C++ developing software for wireless devices, but then got made redundant. Ever since, I struggled and still keep struggling to get any kind of decent paid jobs. I currently work as a telephone sales adviser, which is steady and fairly cushy, but modestly paid. When I go for other interviews within IT, prospective employers don't look favourably at my situation. I need to somehow resurrect my career in IT and improve my salary. Can anyone suggest what to go into? Networking, Cisco, Microsoft Support, any suggestions at all? Programing is largely nowadays being outsourced to different countries and I keep thinking that networking, in particular, cisco is the way to go. My concerns are that even if I enroll to do some courses, I would struggle with preparation for exams, as practical exams are often way different then theory. Anyone has any stories/experiences/advice to share?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 09:42 PM
    Hi, georgemguitarist!

What do you mean by "got made redundant", please?

Thanks!
    georgemguitarist Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2010, 03:39 PM

Exactly what I said. The company I worked for went into administration due financial issues and a lot of employees were made redundant.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 12, 2010, 09:34 PM
    So, I take it that some of the employees were no longer needed then.

Correct?

Are there any other education, skills, job experience and training that you might be able to use for something else, please?

Thanks!
    BlackVY Posts: 823, Reputation: 154

May 12, 2010, 11:09 PM

Do you have your MCSE qualification? Quite a few companies regard that quite highly. Or you could do a part time Project Management course and getting into an assistant project management role. That could be good, if you liked that sort of thing. It might not be a permanent position, mostly contract work, but it could be good, and you could get quite a bit of experience and exposure to lots of different things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which career path? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey! I have talked to counselors at my school about this, yet none seemed to help! You guys always have great advice so I thought I would take myself here :) I am currently going to be a sophomore and I am trying to discover where my passion lies, I really want to focus and graduate in 4 years...

Which career path should I take? [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently working as a administrative assistant. I have been at my job for almost 4 years and started here when I was about 19. Even though it has been a good job, but there are some things that are screwy and I don't get compensated enough for the work I do, and also there is really no room...

What Career path should I take? [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a lot of difficulty deciding what I should do once I am finished my B.A. in Anthropology (it is my major, sociology is my minor). I am in my third year of my undergrad and am 20 years old. I do enjoy the courses I am taking and if I had the money or was paid to go to school I would...

Career Path [ 1 Answers ]

I have one and a half year experience in Siebel Functional Testing plus 6 months internship in Siebel technology(completed a project during internship).Worked on CRM and PRM modules. What type of career prospects I have ?

View more questions Search