Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 01:10 PM
    Could Drinking Too Much Orange Juice Possibly Cause Throat Problems?
    Hi, All!

I tend to drink a lot of orange juice. Could drinking too much irritate the throat enough to cause a swallowing problem due to the citrus acid content? Normally, my throat doesn't hurt, but does sometimes when I eat.

Yeah, I know that I could look it up on Google. However, it's a lot more fun getting the "live" advice! Plus, those that truly are knowledgeable about such things get to show here what they know in order to help to enrich this site!

Thanks!
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

May 8, 2010, 01:28 PM

It's possible Clough. The acid could irritate your pharynx or esophagus to the point of causing some difficulty with swallowing. I say it is possible, only because I was taught to never say never or always in regards to health and wellness issues.

Our bodies have an amazing ability to heal when given a chance, so why not switch to water for a couple days and see if you get any improvement?

A few years ago I was told that my esophagus was so sick that it would never get better. Well, recently it got better. Shocking but true, I no longer have difficulty swallowing and my symptoms of GERD are gone! My most recent biopsies came back all clear too :)
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 01:32 PM
    Hi, thisisit!

I was wondering how you were doing and it's so nice to see you on the site again! :)

Biopsies all clear? That's great! :)

I've been worried that there was more cancer spreading on my nose! But, the bumps seem to have gone down.

Probably just zits!

May 8, 2010, 01:39 PM

Thanks Clough, I should clarify that, the biopsies of my esophagus are all clear! My skin... now that's another story. I guess once you have skin cancer surgery it is something you will always worry about. And it is something that you should have the doctor check on regularly. I'd take zits over skin cancer any day ;)
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 01:49 PM
    When my "zits" are right next to the skin graft, that gets me worried and adds to my throat problem because I get so nervous and anxious that my throat closes up when I'm eating.

Wasn't really having much of a throat problem, in the past couple of weeks, until starting to drink a lot more orange juice and my face has started erupting in zits because of other issues that have been going on in my life.

May 8, 2010, 03:18 PM

It is amazing how stress and worry can wreck health. I've got some little pink/red bumps next to where I recently had skin cancer removed on my legs. Be sure to ask your doctor about your "zits" next time you see him... though I think I remember you saying he was going into retirement? Who are you following up with on that? I'm going to point out my spots to the doctor on my follow up appointment on the 18th of this month.

Time to start relaxing. It might help to listen to some of your favorite music.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 03:33 PM
    My follow-up would be with one of the nurses that he used. The doctor is now fully retired and any other treatment that there might be would be with the other doctor in the same office.

I hope to start playing the piano again in my home. Used to put in many hours a night doing that!

Did you see the thread that I started about addictions?

May 8, 2010, 03:34 PM

No I didn't see that, will try to find it now.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 03:48 PM
    I've not had the mind or will to return to that thread just yet. Many people to whom to respond. Very much a heavy for me. I don't agree with all that's been stated on it.

That, and everything else that's been going on and what I've been eating and drinking, I'm sure has had many effects on me physically, my throat being one of those physical things.

Also, never intended for that thread to revolve around me. That wasn't the original intention of it.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 04:28 PM
    Did you read that thread yet, thisisit?

I also posted a Visitor Message for you!
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2010, 12:21 PM

Clough,

Thisisit hit it on point. It's possible but wouldn't put it near the top of possible causes.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2010, 10:37 PM
    Thank you for posting on the Addictions thread, thisisit! :)
    Uber Member

May 15, 2010, 10:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Clough,

Thisisit hit it on point. It's possible but wouldn't put it near the top of possible causes.
    Hi, DrBill100!

What do you think might be near the top as far as possible causes, please?

Thanks!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 15, 2010, 10:52 PM

I did not read the other answers.

Orange juice is a great irritation of one very common condition.

Acid reflux. Orange juice even though good for you, for some people is very bad. Acid reflux comes up your esophagus and burns your throat. Causing irritation.
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 07:34 AM

My first thought was that it could have been a reaction to alcohol cessation. Ethanol begins absorption as soon as a drink is introduced into your mouth and over time the mucosa, villi, are irritated and certain digestive enzymes depleted all throuout your GI system. Your system was simply overworked and irritated as well and accustomed to an alcohol depressed environment. This can also be a operative in acid reflux or any number of GI tract anomalies.

If you're still suffering from this it becomes more distant possibility. Would think that this would clear up within a week but that's difficult to assess when so many of your systems and cells are readjusting at the same time.

Irritation can also be caused by medications.

But these are just best guesses. My expertise lies in how the body is supposed to work and when it doesn't that where the MDs pick up and speak to the Why.

Is this still bothering you?
    Uber Member

May 22, 2010, 08:21 PM
    I've actually had the swallowing problem for about five or six years. Sometimes it's really bad and other times, I don't have the problem at all.

It's somewhat worse now because of the great amount of tension that's in my life.

I've been trying to not drink as much orange juice or none at all. Problem is still there, though...

The last time that I was in the hospital, I did mention the swallowing problem to the doctor. He didn't do anything about it.
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2010, 08:33 PM

Based on that history Dr Bills hypothesis bites the dust. That's a long time. Hasn't it ever been detected during an exam?

I think I'm wasting your time here. I enjoy conversing with you but I have no idea what this condition may be.

How are things otherwise. Where's Rock Island by the way?
    Uber Member

May 22, 2010, 08:49 PM
    I've had a number of exams over the past year. Have been in and out of the hospital for various reasons. The most recent one you know about. The others were because of physical problems...

Even though I've mentioned my throat, the doctors went concentrating on other things that were issues with me.

Things have been really tense for me for a number of years. Tension has to be relieved in some way. It can manifest it self in all sorts of physical ailments, as I'm sure that you know.

It's gotten even more tense during the past year...

But, I'm hopeful for the future! Business has picked up some, but I still need to be able to pay what I owe certain entities.

Rock Island, IL is on the bend of the Mississippi River.

May 23, 2010, 08:24 PM

Have you had your esophagus checked out, and any swallowing tests? There is a pretty neat swallowing test that involves swallowing verious different foods dipped in barium. During the test you take a bite of different textured foods, chew and swallow. You can watch what it looks like on the screen as a real time X-ray. The test can pinpoint the kind of swallowing difficulty you are having (machanically what is going wrong during your swallow) and it can tell you what kinds of food consistancy you have the easiest with swallowing and which food consistancies are the most difficult for you.

Barium Swallow

Another test that can help diagnose the causes of your difficulty swallowing is an Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD).

Do you have insurance that would cover some testing to help you figure out if there is a condition that might be treatable to help with your swallowing?
    Uber Member

May 23, 2010, 10:00 PM
    I have no insurance for health purposes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rumor says that orange juice has... [ 16 Answers ]

Alcohol.. yes and it worries me if that's true.. I have been told that the fresh fruits juices includes fractions of percentage of alcohol to preserve the fruit from frementing.. is this true? I have googled the web to find fresh juice ingredients but couldn't locate any info.

How much trace alcohol in orange juice [ 7 Answers ]

What is the measurable amount of naturally occurring trace alcohol in the average glass of orange juice?

How much orange juice would you need to drink to obtain 500mg of vit C ? [ 1 Answers ]

How many glasses of o.j. would you need to drink to obtain 500mg of vit C?

Expired Orange Juice [ 3 Answers ]

Is expired orange juice safe to use for cooking in a restaurant where the public will be eating?

Expired Orange Juice [ 0 Answers ]

Can you get the same effects of expired orange juice as alcohol?

View more questions Search