Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

May 24, 2010, 05:45 AM

Gosh, I'm sorry. If its any comfort, I had severe swallowing difficulties that escalated over a long time, to the point of not being able to swallow enough nutrition to keep me from losing weight. It was related to my GERD and Barretts Esophagus. I was told that would never get better and had 2 feeding tubes put in. (very painful) About 3 1/2 years later it got better. I gained about 30 pounds and now weigh a healthy 120, threw away my prescriptions, got the feeding tubes out, and now don't even need to take antacids.

Do you get indigestion? Often? If so treating it might help with the swallowing problem. You can get several meds, like zantac and tagamet OTC. I found Maalox and Mylanta Ultimate Strength worked better than TUMS, but I'm sure each person is different.

Things you can do: Don't drink anything that irritates your esophagus. Don't eat foods that cause indigestion. If you have indigestion you can also try raising the head of your bed posts.

An irritated esophagus can lead to swallowing problems, but other things could be the cause also. So I can't tell you for sure what is causing your problems, only offer suggestions for you to try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rumor says that orange juice has... [ 16 Answers ]

Alcohol.. yes and it worries me if that's true.. I have been told that the fresh fruits juices includes fractions of percentage of alcohol to preserve the fruit from frementing.. is this true? I have googled the web to find fresh juice ingredients but couldn't locate any info.

How much trace alcohol in orange juice [ 7 Answers ]

What is the measurable amount of naturally occurring trace alcohol in the average glass of orange juice?

How much orange juice would you need to drink to obtain 500mg of vit C ? [ 1 Answers ]

How many glasses of o.j. would you need to drink to obtain 500mg of vit C?

Expired Orange Juice [ 3 Answers ]

Is expired orange juice safe to use for cooking in a restaurant where the public will be eating?

Expired Orange Juice [ 0 Answers ]

Can you get the same effects of expired orange juice as alcohol?

View more questions Search