Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

May 7, 2010, 05:56 PM
    Solar lighting system
    Not sure if I picked the correct forum here but...

I have seven solar light systems in the front and back yards. They are very bright and work well.

Problem... my stupidity; While cutting back some dead branches from some of my boxwoods I accidentally cut the wire from the two lights to the solar panel. I tried to repair it by stripping the coating off the wires and then wrapping the exposed white wire to the other white wire and the red wire to the red wire and wrapped each with electrical tape and then wrapping both again. However, it doesn't work now...

What did I do or not do correctly? I am not an expert however this should have worked in my opinion..

Any advice? These units cost about $70.00 each and I would like to fix it.

Thanks in advance,

Stringer
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 7, 2010, 06:01 PM

Do you have an ohm meter? You could test the battery for voltage. Also is there a fuse in the circuit? Im going to assume you were using something metal to do the cutting with. And if the wires touched each other which is what happens in most common cases a fuse will blow and save the circuit. Also if you can I would recommend soldering the wires back together. Then wrap each section with electrical tape and then go over it with something else. Either liquid tape or silicon or something better adept to weatherproofing.
    Business Expert

May 7, 2010, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Do you have an ohm meter? You could test the battery for voltage. Also is there a fuse in the circut? Im going to assume you were using something metal to do the cutting with. And if the wires touched each other which is what happens in most common cases a fuse will blow and save the circut. Also if you can I would recomend soldering the wires back together. Then wrap each section with electrical tape and then go over it with something else. Either liquid tape or silicon or something better adept to weatherproofing.
    Thanks Dad, I will check to see if there is a fuse. These are solar, would this still blow a fuse (if there is one)? The back of the solar panel is pretty much enclosed, however there is an off and on switch, maybe I need to turn it off and then back on also..
    Internet Research Expert

May 7, 2010, 06:16 PM

That could be also. Because it may have a circuit breaker and in turning the switch off and on it will reset it. In general anything with power (the lights use a external battery) there is usually by design a fuse or circuit breaker inline. Its for circuit protection and also usually needs to be there to get a U/L listing.

Added note: U/L stands for Underwriters Laboratory.
    Business Expert

May 7, 2010, 06:26 PM

Hey Dad, I had to wait until it was dark (and it is now) to try turning it off and then back on... it worked! So I did a pretty good job of rewiring it ;)... but stupidity over-road my work... :rolleyes:

Yes I knew what UL meant and what it is... thanks for responding my friend. :)

Stringer
    Internet Research Expert

May 7, 2010, 06:27 PM

Anytime. Always glad to help at AMHD :)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 7, 2010, 09:11 PM

I don't think your repair will last because of the "just twisting together" part.

I do need to know where this connection is: Underground? Outside, exposed to the elements? In a housing?

What wire gauge is the wire or about how thick is it. You can say 10 index cards thick, if you want or about the height of a nickel. Just use something I can reference too.
    Business Expert

May 8, 2010, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    I don't think your repair will last because of the "just twisting together" part.

I do need to know where this connection is: Underground? Outside, exposed to the elements? In a housing?

What wire gauge is the wire or about how thick is it. You can say 10 index cards thick, if you want or about the height of a nickle. Just use something I can reference too.
    Good morning Kiss, thanks for responding.

The connection is exposed above ground, it is a unit with one solar panel about 12" x 12" and two hooded lights. Don't know the gauge of the wire/s. However they are a small gold group of very thin wires maybe eight to ten in each group. Maybe this group is about the height of a dime.

I twisted each of the two groups together then twisted them together with the other end of the cut wire. Wrapped each of the two tightly with electrical tape then again wrapped that again tightly with the tape again.
    Internet Research Expert

May 8, 2010, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Good morning Kiss, thanks for responding.

The connection is exposed above ground, it is a unit with one solar panel about 12" x 12" and two hooded lights. Don't know the gauge of the wire/s. However they are a small gold group of very thin wires maybe eight to ten in each group. Maybe this group is about the height of a dime.

I twisted each of the two groups together then twisted them together with the other end of the cut wire. Wrapped each of the two tightly with electrical tape then again wrapped that again tightly with the tape again.
    See me post and solder and sealing the connection. When you have wires exposed to sun and uv rays they are very damaging to elect tape. You need more then that because any moisture that gets in there will corrode the connection. See above post.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 08:22 AM

You may have about 18 AWG stranded copper wire although copper is not gold.

What's going to happen is that the connections will corrode over time and you'll eventually loose it. Water will get between the wire and the insulation further causing corrosion.

I don't recommend crimping either unless some sort of gel is used.

So, now what:

Either find a suitable waterproof splice system such as what might be used for underground sprinklers.

-or-

Twist the wires like you did. Twisting usually involves twisting one wire in one direction and the other in the opposite direction.

Solder them together.

I use Bishop 20 Plysil #3455 a grey self-fusing electrical tape. 30' coast about $30 and I order from a local electrical supplier.
    It doesn't have an adhesive, but sticks to itself and will conform to just about any shape. It's also goo to 200 deg. Centegrade

Online, I found this which is equlivelent and is available in multiple colors. Welcome to Rescue Tape!
    Business Expert

May 8, 2010, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    See me post and solder and sealing the connection. When you have wires exposed to sun and uv rays they are very damaging to elect tape. You need more then that because any moisture that gets in there will corrode the connection. See above post.
    Thanks Dad.

I have a small solder I will try that.
    Business Expert

May 8, 2010, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    You may have about 18 AWG stranded copper wire although copper is not gold in color.

What's going to happen is that the connections will corrode over time and you'll eventually loose it. Water will get between the wire and the insulation further causing corrosion.

I don't reccomend crimping either unless some sort of gel is used.

So, now what:

Either find a suitable waterproof splice system such as what might be used for underground sprinklers.

-or-

Twist the wires like you did. Twisting usually involves twisting one wire in one direction and the other in the opposite direction.

Solder them together.

I use Bishop 20 Plysil #3455 a grey self-fusing electrical tape. 30' coast about $30 and I order from a local electrical supplier.
    It doesn't have an adhesive, but sticks to itself and will conform to just about any shape. It's also goo to 200 deg. Centegrade

Online, I found this which is equlivelent and is available in multiple colors. Welcome to Rescue Tape!
    Soldering is what I'll do and thanks for the site information I will check out this tape.

Thanks again for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Satellites in the solar system? [ 3 Answers ]

Can you list the satellites of the solar system ? Some notes about satellites:- Satellite is a natural object that orbits a planet or asteroid. Satellites are also called moons. All the planets except Mercury and Venus have satellites. The four giant planets, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and...

Solar lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I have attempted to change the batteries on some solar tiffany lighting I purcharsed 2 years ago. However, they do not recharge themselves and light up at night? Is there anything else I can do to repair the lights are they trash?

Solar system [ 2 Answers ]

Which planet has the most natural satellites?

Orbits of planets in the solar system [ 3 Answers ]

Hi If anyone can help me, it would be appreciated. I would like to know 3 things. 1 - why do planets orbit all on the same plane? 2 - why do they all orbit in the same direction?

Solar system for cottage [ 1 Answers ]

Will a Xantrex DR2424 modified sine wave inverter work and be approved with an arc fault breaker? Thanks

View more questions Search