Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TanToes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2010, 02:17 PM
    insurance company refusing to pay with water leaking in wall damage
    I hopefully can alert others to the nightmare I am living with/facing now! After years of paying ALLSTATE for my condo homeowner's coverage, I find they have abandoned me. Assume all other policies/companies are the same. I take EXCEPTIONAL care and precautions against leaks under my sinks, laudry tub, etc. Plastic pans that I check regularly in case of a drip.
    BUT, after I noticed mold, possibly, on the opposite wall (4" wall) to my shower plumbing side, I tore into it at the base board and there was mold, heavy smell within the wall, and it even seems my shower pan (bad construction to begin with) may have leaked.
    The ALLSTATE rep tells me that they are not responsible to cover damage to rebuilding the walls and my small shower... that I should have KNOWN it was leaking!

I informed him, though trying to be civil, that 'Sir, my walls are not glass, nor do I have x-ray vision'. Only once the evidence of it came through the wall could I tell! (a drip from the top of my shower pipe when my shower was turned on is the one known cause).

So, I had stopped using that shower and have quite a mess to deal with, and with a very limited budget. Bad timing as I had been the victim in a car accident months ago (was using the shower a lot since the hot water was my only pain relief). Also, I am quite hearing disabled.

Be warned... check your policies, go to your agent in person and see if you can change it (I doubt). I have only $10,000 mold remediation and some other coverage that ALLSTATE is trying to evade even that by saying I had neglected my duty! My condo is all I have in this world.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 7, 2010, 03:37 PM

Sadly too many people have no idea what their insurance covers, until they need it.

I used to be an insurance underwriter. It's the job of the broker and client to make sure that they have the exact coverage they're looking for. Most people don't spend a lot of money on the little extras like higher mold coverage, because they feel it's a waste of money, until they have a mold issue.

I know you're upset, and I suggest that you have a lawyer read your insurance policy to see if you are indeed covered. Sadly you cannot change your policy after the damage has been done, it doesn't work that way, otherwise most people wouldn't get car insurance until after an accident.

Good luck.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 13, 2010, 09:59 AM

Is there a management firm or association governing your condo? In many condos you don't own what is inside or behind a wall. The repair might be covered by association insurance, do some checking.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2010, 09:04 PM

I know I'm a little late replying here but Altenweg made some very good points. In a nutshell, you are responsible for caring for your home and this means understanding what your insurance coverages are. This means ask questions. Go in periodically to review the policy. Pay attention to everything.

On most standard home policies mold damage is excluded because mold is something that happens over a long period. You say that you checked your drain pans periodically but at the same time you said you were aware of a small leak in your shower. A leak is a leak. Whether it was small or not, it was still a leak.

I don't think you should blame Allstate because you didn't have coverage for this. Take this as a lesson; albeit a very expensive one: take every leak/drip seriously. Regardless of how small it may seem.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 08:18 PM

Agree and if he'd ever come back and answer my question in post #3 we'd know even more.
    tjaxlfatcat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2012, 12:54 PM
    We are experiencing the same situation. I noticed mold in my son's bedroom along the base of the wall opposite the bathroom wall. Immediately, we removed the access panel (mobile home) to the shower fixtures. We uncover a HUGE mold infestation. EVERYTHING was saturated & completely covered in black mold- the tub basin, the floor, the pipes, the wall studs, the sheetrock, & the carpet along the wall in my son's bedroom. It's a lose lose situation. I wish I had some answers as we are seeking answers too. Current removal & remediation bids are ranging from $12k- $15k. Keep in mind this is about a 600 sq. ft. area foundation to roof, interior & exterior. It's a mobile home, that we owe $24k on but is only worth $10k... Someone would be CRAZY to think that I'm going to sink that kind of money in this piece of crap house!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does my insurance company have to pay for damages to a car with no insurance [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was at fault for a car accident, however the other person had no insurance. In the state of Indiana you must have insurance. My question is does my insurance have to pay the other person damages? Also can I report this person to police department for false information on a legal report...

Company Refusing to Pay Earned Commissions and Renewals [ 1 Answers ]

I work for a healthcare consultant company that refuses to pay me when due. They pay whenever they feel is convenient for them. Last week, they didn't post my commissions. The week before they didn't post my monthly renrewals that are always 2 months behind. This happens all the time and several...

Tenant on lease with option refusing to pay rent. Hand delivered 5 day pay or quit. [ 4 Answers ]

Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump...

Damage to my vehice their insurance won't pay. [ 2 Answers ]

My vehicle was hit by another vehicle.I was not in the vehicle at the time.It was damaged when I returned.I called the D P S(Texas).The officer said I could do nothing as there was no witness.I told the officer there was a video camera at the store.He reviewed the tape and found the person that hit...

View more questions Search