Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    franneh Posts: 134, Reputation: 7

May 7, 2010, 07:50 AM
    I have a question about Vitex, please!
    I've read multiple sites about Vitex, and I've purchased some and I'm ready to begin taking it, in hopes of conceiving.

However, there isn't much information about how much Vitex to take. Each site says the amount varies from woman to woman. But how do you figure it out? I've seen a couple of sites that say 175mg.

The bottle I bought is capsules that are 400mg EACH. And the label says "take up to six capsules daily."

Now, a range of 400-2400mg is pretty vague, don't you think?

I just want to have periods, so I can ovulate, and get pregnant! I'm on Metformin, and I still have only had one period this year.

Any advice on how much Vitex to take would be very much appreciated!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 7, 2010, 08:28 AM

This is a very comprehensive site: Vitex - What You Need to Know About Vitex
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 7, 2010, 09:06 AM

The average is about 1000mg a day... broken up in two dosages. Keep in mind it can take a few months before there may be any change.
    How long have you been on the Metformin?

May 7, 2010, 09:46 AM

I've been on metformin since September 09. :)

Yeah I heard it takes a few months to really start working, which is why I'm so eager to get started! :) :)

Thanks so much for the link, I will check it out right now!

May 7, 2010, 09:53 AM

I'm concerned about the possible side effect of hair loss. Is this something most women have on vitex, or is it rare? I swear I think my hair has already gotten thinner since starting metformin, so this is a big concern for me.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 7, 2010, 10:32 AM

I read that over 10% of women report hair loss to some degree. It also appears that it is not reversible.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 7, 2010, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by franneh View Post
    I'm concerned about the possible side effect of hair loss. Is this something most women have on vitex, or is it rare? I swear I think my hair has already gotten thinner since starting metformin, so this is a big concern for me.
    Were you prescribed the Metformin for PCOS? That itself can cause hair loss as well as the Metformin.
    The Vitex may cause hair loss, but it also may help prevent further hair loss if it does help with regulating your hormone levels. As with any herbal supplement or medication, there will be some people who do experience side effects while trying to "cure" the reason for their use in the first place.
    If you haven't already, it would be a good idea to speak to your doctor about also having your thyroid checked and to let them know you are considering using Vitex along with the Metformin.

May 7, 2010, 02:30 PM

Yeah I take metformin for PCOS and to regulate blood glucose levels- trying to not become diabetic like the rest of my family, although I'm very close. And I am also already taking levothyroxine for my thyroid. =)

I am not on speaking terms with my (ex) gynecologist. She pissed me off for the last time last month, and I'm currently looking for a new one, so it may be a month or so until I get an appointment.
    JustMarried2011 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2011, 06:01 PM
    I have basically the same thing Franneh, I was goven Levothyroxine for hypothyroid. I was given Metformin to reduce the blood glucose(multiple family members have diabetes including my father) I was tested and given ultrasound for pcos and was told I did not have that. But me and my husband are Trying to conceive and it is not working... I am so sadden to say it has been almost 2 years since we began trying and still nothing has happened. I heard about vitex and I haven't tried it yet but when you get a clear answer PLEASE email me and let me know!! Thanks so much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I take Vitex while also taking Metformin? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm on metformin 1000mg/day to control bloodsugar, to help with my PCOS and non-ovulation. (I also take Levothyroxine 25mg/day for my thyroid, and evening primrose oil capsules as well as prenatal vitamins, just in case it makes a difference.) We are trying for a baby and heard about the...

Quick question about Vitex! [ 1 Answers ]

I've read multiple sites about Vitex, and I've purchased some and I'm ready to begin taking it, in hopes of conceiving. However, there isn't much information about how much Vitex to take. Each site says the amount varies from woman to woman. But how do you figure it out? I've seen a couple of...

A Qustion re Vitex [ 1 Answers ]

:) I am thinking of trying vitex as I have heard it can make irregular periods regular and also helps with ovulation. Would love some advise on this. :D Thanks :)

Vitex and Metformin [ 1 Answers ]

I was just rx'd Metformin... I haven't filled it yet but will soon... I have been taking Vitex for only about a week.. Can I take them both.. Will they help each other?

Vitex? [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone had success concieving with Vitex? If so or if not can you share your story? Me and my hubby have been going on a year no with no luck!?

View more questions Search