Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 7, 2010, 12:11 AM
    How Do You Remove the Smell of Mice Urine from Wood?
    Hi, All!

I started work on a spinet piano for a customer last Saturday. Replaced all of the bridle straps, a lot of the felts under the keys and proceeded to tune it.

The problem was, that it had a whole bunch of mouse nests in it! We removed as much of the mouse stuff that we could. When we removed the action, there was actually a mouse that was dead, not totally decayed, that was stuck flat against the upper half of the bass strings! It was so gross! :eek:

Gross as it was though, it was still highly unusual, so I asked the husband to take a picture of it for me.

Anyway, the smell of the mouse urine is still pretty bad! It's in the wood.

We've tried pine types of cleaners. Baking soda. I can't remember what else as I know that the customers were working on it also when I wasn't there.

What are some ways that you might have tried and been successful at getting rid of the smell of mice urine from wood, please?

Thanks!
    kristinebrewer Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2010, 03:08 AM

We have this problem before, we did was we put gas in it then we let it dry. Presto, the smell disappears.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 7, 2010, 11:07 AM
    Hi, kristinebrewer!

Do you mean regular gasoline like would be used in cars, please?

Thanks!
    bbailie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2010, 05:08 PM
    Hi!
    I've found that if you spray a solution of: (1c. Peroxide, 1tsp baking soda and a drop of dish soap or laundry detergent, mix well) this dose wonders. I've used it on our dogs to rid them of skunk odour (leaving it on their coat for 10 - 15 minutes then shampoo them), sprayed to rid the urine smell of our cats that have sprayed on carpet, walls and wood cabinets. Good luck and let us know if it works for you.
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Dec 29, 2010, 08:40 AM

WD-40... for sure will help the smell and it gets everything out of wood, I feel. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do dead mice smell of rotten eggs? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a smell of bad eggs coming from my electricity meter. Do dead mice smell of bad eggs? If so how long would the smell last for?

Smell in urine [ 3 Answers ]

For the past few days I have noticed a strong smell when I urinate. Can you tell me the cause, and should I be worried?

Hi how do I remove wood adhesive from wood cabinetry [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, how do I remove wood adhesive from wood cabinetry. The gentleman who installed the cabinets inadvertently rubbed the glue on the cabinet itself... it looks awful.. thanks

Urine smell Comes and Goes [ 3 Answers ]

We have a cottage in which we are getting very intermittent smells of urine (we believe). It shows up at odd times in one of our three bedrooms. Stays around for a few minutes and then after opening a window disappears. The bathrooms do not smell. I have checked the plumbing in the crawl space and...

Sewer smell in kitchen, wood cabinets smell [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house that had sewer smells in the kitchen probably for years. I found the problem and fixed the pipe. We gutted the kitchen and the smell is still there. The subfloor has an odor. And I am worried the tongue and groove underneath it might smell also. If we pull up the subfloor,...

View more questions Search