Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 06:35 AM
    Stirring the racial pot...
    ... or multiculturalism run amok and other things I can print here.

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

On any other day at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Daniel Galli and his four friends would not even be noticed for wearing T-shirts with the American flag. But Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.

"They said if we tried to go back to class with our shirts not taken off, they said it was defiance and we would get suspended," Dominic Maciel, Galli's friend, said.

The boys really had no choice, and went home to avoid suspension. They say they're angry they were not allowed to express their American pride. Their parents are just as upset, calling what happened to their children, "total nonsense."

"I think it's absolutely ridiculous," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mom, said. "All they were doing was displaying their patriotic nature. They're expressing their individuality."

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

As for an apology, the boys and their families say, "fat chance."

"I'm not going to apologize. I did nothing wrong," Galli said. "I went along with my normal day. I might have worn an American flag, but I'm an American and I'm proud to be an American."

The five boys and their families met with a Morgan Hill Unified School District official Wednesday night. The district released a statement saying it does not agree with how Live Oak High School administrators handled this incident.

The boys will not be suspended and they were told they can go back to school Thursday. They may even wear their red, white, and blue colors again, but this time, the day after Cinco de Mayo, there will be no controversy.
    I like a good Cinco de Mayo celebration as much as the next guy. In fact, ours is usually held in a city park about 3 blocks from my home. No problem, we're more than happy for them to celebrate their heritage. But when did it become offensive to celebrate our American heritage - on ANY day of the year? What part of Mexican-AMERICAN doesn't this school's administrators get? When did it become against the rules to display American symbols on PUBLIC school property?
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 6, 2010, 07:43 AM

Now now, you are just being insensitive when you wear an American flag tee on Cinco de Mayo. On Seis de Mayo okay. Can you wear an American flag tee on St Patrick's day [ but wear green or you'll get pinched ] or on Columbus day?

G&P
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 07:47 AM

Next Cinco de Mayo remind me to put my AMERICAN flag out. Which begs the question, did this school fly their AMERICAN flag that day, or do they still even do that in the People's Republic of California?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 08:19 AM

Next Cinco de Mayo I'm going to fly the French flag.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 6, 2010, 08:28 AM

Hello Steve:

Next Cinco de Mayo, I'm going to drink a couple Dos xx's, like I did this time. Nahhh, I'm not going to worry about the principle in Morgan Hill who doesn't know the Constitution. He probably went to school in Chicago.

excon
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 08:42 AM

I am not shocked by this nonsense it is PC run amok. What I am actually shocked at is schools serve brunch??
    Uber Member

May 6, 2010, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    ...or multiculturalism run amok and other things I can print here.
    Hello again, Steve:

I know you don't like me asking these kinds of questions, but your post made me curious - it being about the Constitution an all...

What if this same principle, who admittedly knows SQUADOOSH about the Constitution, violated a student's Fourth Amendment rights by strip searching him, because the principle suspects he has drugs.

Would you be cool with that?

excon
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Steve:

Next Cinco de Mayo, I'm gonna drink a couple Dos xx's, like I did this time. Nahhh, I'm not gonna worry about the principle in Morgan Hill who doesn't know the Constitution. He probably went to school in Chicago
    Ok, so next year remind me to put my AMERICAN flag out while I enjoy a couple of Dos XX Amber.
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Steve:

I know you don't like me asking these kinds of questions, but your post made me curious - it being about the Constitution an all...

What if this same principle, who admittedly knows SQUADOOSH about the Constitution, violated a student's Fourth Amendment rights by strip searching him, because the principle suspects he has drugs.

Would you be cool with that?

excon
    No. I don't believe a school has any business strip searching any kid for any reason.
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 09:08 AM

Spit, it's the Bay area... I think brunch is a constitutional right there.
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 09:17 AM
    Spit, it's the Bay area ... I think brunch is a constitutional right there.
    I assume this is on the SF side of the bay. I don't imagine to many schools in Oakland having Brunch!!
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    I assume this is on the SF side of the bay. I don't imagine to many schools in Oakland having Brunch!!!!!!
    Or caring about offending Mexican-Americans?
    Uber Member

May 6, 2010, 09:37 AM
    Or caring about offending Mexican-Americans?
    Hello again, Steve:

Not at all. While Oakland is a working class town, it is quite culturally aware. Contrary to your assertion, it is NOT a bastion of right wing thought. In fact, Oakland abuts Berkeley, and the people are virtually, indistinguishable. Therefore, I suggest they care very DEEPLY about offending Mexicans.

excon
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 09:43 AM
    You are probably right about that. But the Raiders do have a very large Mexican-American fan base. Did you see the Jersey the Phoenix Suns wore last night? The Spurs wanted to wear the same type of Jersey but couldn't get them made in time for the game.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 10:06 AM

You got me there, ex. Berkeley obviously cares VERY deeply about lots of useless stuff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solutions and stirring [ 1 Answers ]

How does stirring affect the rate at which a solute dissolves in a solvent?

The new racial divide [ 33 Answers ]

It's becoming clear that the racial divide is not only not healed by the election of the nation's first black president, the left plans on widening the gap. From Gloria Borger of CNN's remark that "right now, quite frankly, the Republican Party looks more like the Confederacy," to what appears to...

Is she stirring up trouble? [ 2 Answers ]

A couple of weeks ago me and my BF of 9months split up. I posted it on here, some of you may remember. We were separated for two weeks. (Wow, ages lol.) He randomly sent me a text and we got kind of talking again. Now we are seeing each other. Taking things slow so we don't get sick of each...

View more questions Search