Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cracking10 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2010, 10:48 PM
    What do you do when you know there is something wrong with you but no-one else agrees
    Recently I have been feeling utterly horrible, I have been crying for hours at a time for no particular reason, getting angry at the smallest things, hurting the people around me, hurting myself and have evev thought of doing worse to myself than just injuring. I have been to see a doctor on various occasions but each time she has told me she doesn't see what could be wrong with me or why and sends me away. I really need help, I'm losing the people closest to me. My boyfriend is an inch away from breaking up with me because he can't deal with me and I'm constantly being angry at everyone for nothing. What can I do?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 5, 2010, 10:57 PM
    I want you to find a reputable professional counselor and make an appointment. When you see your doctor, you are on your best behavior, so it's no wonder the doctor, who deals more with the physical part of us, sees nothing wrong.

The umbrella symptom seems to be depression, a profound sadness over something in your life or something about yourself. A good counselor/therapist will ask you questions that will pull this out of you and then help you set daily/weekly/monthly goals to defeat it.

Has anything happened to you recently or changed in your life lately?

May 5, 2010, 11:05 PM

One of my family's close friends died last September, she was 22 and that messed me up a fair bit.
    I also have really bad self image and self worth issues, I can admit to that, but this is a fairly recent feeling that has risen. I have only felt like this for maybe the last 4 months or so.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 5, 2010, 11:20 PM
    Hi, Cracking10!

If you'd like to, I have some activities that I like to do with people on this site that can help them to feel better about themselves.

Please let me know on this thread, if you're interested in knowing what they are and maybe participating in them.

Thanks!

May 6, 2010, 04:55 AM

Hey,

Yeah I'm willing to try anything.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 05:32 AM

If you are having feelings of harming yourself ,you need to express that to the doctor with conviction and if you still do not receive help,I would change doctors.

I do not know your age but if you are in school you might benefit from talking to a counselor or a school nurse.
    They may be able to point you in the right direction.

I also think you could benefit from working with the above expert (Clough) as he is very good at helping you find an outlet for your depression.

Do not give up and continue to seek help,you know yourself better than anyone and if you are feeling depressed you owe it to yourself to stand up for yourself and get the help you need and deserve.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

May 6, 2010, 07:48 AM

If you're willing to try anything, then you should definitely extend your arm out and search for help.

You can start by talking to people who are close to you, such as family, friends or mentor. Don't be afraid to lean on them for support.

Then, I strongly suggest that you seek professional help. It would be great for you to also have a neutral person helping you out. Someone who does not know your past, so they won't be biased in helping you, and at the same time, they have had professional training in helping people.

You can always come back here and vent with us. We are also willing to lend a support shoulder to lean on.

All these recommendations are a start, this is going to take time, so the key thing for you is to be patient with yourself. Take it one step at the time. But contiually move forward and make progress. Progress will help you feel better about yourself too, so it's a win/win.

If you hit a bump on the road, there's no need to beat yourself up. Just pick yourself back up and keep going!
    Uber Member

May 6, 2010, 11:59 AM
    Originally posted by artlady

Good idea ,I have seen you work so well with others in this way.
    Hey thanks, artlady!

Nice to see you back in action here! :)
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 06:58 PM
    Can I suggest that you need to change doctors? She clearly isn't listening, or perhaps you're not telling her exactly how bad you feel and that you've been hurting yourself.

As other posters have said, it's really important that you find a counselor or therapist and get to the bottom of these feelings of anger, rage and despair.

What you're going through sounds awful but I believe that if you make the effort to speak with an objective outsider it will really make a difference.

In the meantime, be honest with your BF and the people around you and let them know you're going through a really bad time. Ask them to be patient with you and more importantly, make a big effort to be patient with them. Remember that they love you and that you love them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 6, 2010, 07:02 PM

And what type of doctor, a MD for medical problems, or a couselor for emotional issues
    Uber Member

May 6, 2010, 11:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracking10 View Post
    hey,

yeah I'm willing to try anything.
    Are you into the creative arts of any kind, like music, visual (painting, drawing, sculpture... ), theatrical, dance, writing, etc.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

EU Agrees Climate Change [ 95 Answers ]

Hello Today ahead of a meeting in Copenhagen it was agreed that the EU will fund the improvement of the newer states to help them bring into line their emissons News Sniffer - Revisionista 'EU strikes climate funding deal' diff viewer (2/3) The essence is the EU will offer some 100bn...

Who agrees with me? [ 65 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for a year and a half now, and he still wants to party! I am sorry, but I just don't think it is right for my boyfriend to go to the bar 2 or 3 nights a week till 2 or 4 am without me. I feel disrespected and I also feel alone. Does anyone agree with me, or...

My dad agrees with there being a ghost [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my dad were talking and all of a suden it sounded something huge fell to the floor and I yelled at my sister what happened she said nothing feel it left me very puzzeled and I asked my dad if he heard it and he said he did and heard the same thing happen when he was all alone and the dog was...

Even CNN agrees with the NC [ 7 Answers ]

Five sure ways NOT to get over someone - CNN.com

WHo agrees that. [ 5 Answers ]

(and yes this will sound weird) humans are the cause of all the earths "newly" found problems? Well I do. I mean like in the early man and native american times humans weren't so bad. But now with our cars we're helping global warming. And the ozane layer is depleted. And animals are in serious...

View more questions Search