Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fredfox Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

May 5, 2010, 07:12 PM
    Is an immigrant from Canada legal or illegal when married to a US Citizen?
    I've heard, mostly on comedy situation, that if an immigrant marries a US Citizen, they can stay in this country. Is this true?. is it also true if the immigrant is Canadian?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2010, 07:16 PM

No, it is not true, getting married does not change your status automatically.

You will have to change your type of visa and ask for a change of status due to this.

There are times you may have to even return to your own nation to apply for a new visa to come back
    fredfox Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

May 5, 2010, 07:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    no, it is not true, getting married does not change your status automaticly.

You will have to change your type of visa and ask for a change of status due to this.

There are times you may have to even return to your own nation to apply for a new visa to come back
    Thanks... I see your point. Just an FYI, this couple has been married for a great many years. She came here on a visit and,met her husband-to-be. It was not a marriage to keep her from being deported, but from what you're saying it doesn't make any difference. So, are the writers of sitcoms just screwing with us? What about the illegal immigrants that are here now and the government is planning to legalize them? Honestly, I am sincere in these questions... I can't find answers anywhere else.
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

May 6, 2010, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfox View Post
    Thanks... I see your point. Just an FYI, this couple has been married for a great many years. She came here on a visit and,met her husband-to-be. It was not a marriage to keep her from being deported, but from what you're saying it doesn't make any difference. So, are the writers of sitcoms just screwing with us? What about the illegal immigrants that are here now and the government is planning to legalize them? Honestly, I am sincere in these questions... I can't find answers anywhere else.
    Marriage to a US citizen generally makes a foreign national eligible for permanent residence. You still need to apply for it. The USCIS doesn't come looking for you to give you a green card. When you turn 16 does the DMV or DPS come to your house to give you a drivers license? No, but you are eligible to apply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an illegal immigrant get married for papers? [ 3 Answers ]

I am engaged to be married, my fiancé is an illegal immigrant from Mexico, we have been together for over 2 years and have a 10 month old daughter together. He is a provider for the family and is a good father. I want to help him become legal in the US . That is the reason we are not married yet,...

Get married illegal immigrant [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are married here in the us but he is no legal cani go to mexico to make him legal here in the us?

Legal immigrant wants to become a US citizen? [ 2 Answers ]

I would like my husband to become a U.S citizens. However, he has two misdemeanors and two felonies. He is currently an abiding, tax paying citizen for over 10 years. Would he qualify to be a U.S citizen.

View more questions Search