Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chicostwo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2010, 01:25 PM
    Schizoeffective
    My 27 year old son was diagnosed with schizoeffective disorder 4 years ago.His father and I are divorced and my son moved in with him about 2 years ago, refused to see a Dr, or go on medication.A few days ago, his father called me and said"I'm in the process of having your son removed from my house"He called the police on him after a physical altercation with my son, my ex, and his wife.So, I went over there and was able to take my son home with me.Hes now living with me, staying on my couch in the living room.He called the Dr that I wanted him to see 4 years ago, and is willing to take meds, go to therapy, and apply for social security.My question is,. Is this disease considered a disabling one?We did this route 5 years ago, and he was denied.He hasn't worked in over 4 years.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 5, 2010, 01:33 PM

If your son isn't on meds now, he should be and soon. Schizoeffective disorder incorporates bipolar disorder as well as depression and can be disabling because of its very nature incorporating these conditions. However, meds help, therapy helps, and very undersanding living mates helps as well. Not to say he can't work, but may have trouble in social atmospheres. If he is an otherwise healthy individual then there is no reason he can't work once he becomes rehabilitated on meds, etc. Time and patience will tell, so don't push it. I guess his dad just had too much of the bad side of these conditions to live with him any longer.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search