Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ShadowBlast Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2010, 10:46 AM
    What ever happened to getting a job based on how well you work?
    I am a very hard and efficient worker. That dosen't matter any more. Have to have your own reliable transportation. Have to have good credit. No felonys. Can't smoke on your own time. What's the point of asking for personal and past job references if no one checks them any more. Seems to me like a cheap weeding process.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 5, 2010, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBlast View Post
    Have to have your own reliable transportation. Have to have good credit. No felonys.
    (It's "felonies.") These show presence or absence of responsibility and good moral character.
    Can't smoke on your own time.
    How often during the workday?
    What's the point of asking for personal and past job references if no one checks them any more.
    They DO check references! What are you really unhappy about?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2010, 01:14 PM

We ask all those questions on our pre-screening application.

Transportation: If you live across the street and have no transportation that is not an issue. If you live 20 miles away and have to rely on a ride or the bus system that is a real problem.

Our office operates on shifts. Someone is waiting for their relief before they can go home. If you show up 30 minutes late you inconvenience them and cost me half an hour of overtime.

Good Credit: My current employer doesn't check but a past one did. I was working for a major credit issuer. The idea behind the credit check is that you could be a liability to the company in that you have access to thousands of accounts. Bad credit is sometimes an indicator of bad judgement and that same bad judgement might cause someone to commit identity theft.

Felonies: Past behavior is often indicative of future behavior. If it was theft related, then the employer is opening a huge door to liability. How can the employer be sure you won't steal again.

Some professions (like real estate and insurance) have moral turpitude clauses that won't allow you to get a license. If your felony was because you like to hit someone when you get mad then you are a hazard to anyone working around you.

There are reasons these questions are asked. It isn't just to weed the candidates down.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2010, 06:28 PM

They do check references if you get that far along.

There is often 40 to 400 applications for any one job opening now adays.

A way to get to work, transportation is the most important in some ways, if you have no way to get there, you miss more often and often will not stay for a long time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding a Home-Based Job [ 1 Answers ]

Where would I go to find a home based job that has no registration fee?:)

Looking for Home based job [ 8 Answers ]

I am looking for genuine home based typing jobs, have already wasted more than 100 pounds on scams and cannot afford to pay even single penny more, just need a job that will pay me rather than take more money off me. Can some one please guide me? No scams or small membership sites please. Only...

Home based job [ 8 Answers ]

I was propositioned by memoney exchange and I can't find much info on it. I was told I would get paid salary plus commission off every payment I process. Has anyone heard of this company and knows if its legit?

View more questions Search