Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KHBurgess Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2010, 08:12 AM
    Can a company change the rules of per diem while on a job out of town?
    My company has not taxed my per diem for the last 10 months. I was just told that after one year on this jobsite, which is out of town, I will be taxed on my per diem. Can that happen?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 5, 2010, 09:06 AM

Yes , they can do that - in fact they must do that, due to IRS regulations. Tax-free per-diem is only for temporary jobs, meaning job assignments that are less than a year duration, or are reasonably expected to be less than a year. If your original out-of-town assignment was expected to be less than a year, but has been extended due to unforeseen circumstance, you may be able to argue that the per-diem should continue to be tax-free.
    KHBurgess Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2010, 10:56 AM

Thanks - Not the answer I was hoping for…. So you get hit with tax twice on the same dollar? Example: When I pay the power bill tax has been added on. Now I have to pay the same power bill that has that same tax added on with expense money that has already been taxed. Can you tell me if I can turn in my receipt on my taxes next your if I spend more then I receive after taxes?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 5, 2010, 11:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KHBurgess View Post
    Thanks - Example: When I pay the power bill tax has been added on. Now I have to pay the same power bill that has that same tax added on with expense money that has already been taxed.
    That's what income tax is all about - the government taxes you on income (and per diem is income after the first year), and then you have to pay sales tax, excise tax, or whatever with your after-tax dollars. That's the way it works for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by KHBurgess View Post
    Can you tell me if I can turn in my receipt on my taxes next your if I spend more then I receive after taxes?
    If you have legitimate unreimbursed business expenses you can deduct them. But living expenses after the first year are not considered business expenses, any more than your food or electric bill is at home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is per diem taxable after being at the same job location 1+ years? [ 1 Answers ]

Is per diem taxable to a contractor once they have been at the same job location for more than one year? If so, can they have a break of service for let's say 2 weeks then return to that same location and not be taxed on per diem?

I need a request letter for job change in my company? [ 2 Answers ]

Currently I am working a Warehouse assistant in a company but I am very intrested to work as a Sales man in same company.Can somebody compose sample request letter for my job change ? My key skills in sales : Greet customers Find out the customer's needs Describe a product's features and...

Can an owner of a company collect per diem [ 1 Answers ]

As a business owner, I travel away from home for a couple of days at a time on a regular basis. Am I allowed to collect the per Diem listed in pub 1542 for my overnight travel, or can I collect only if I have travel expenses backed up by receipts?

My company is taxing part my per diem [ 2 Answers ]

I am a truck driver my company pays us 100$ per night for food and hotel We get taxed on what we don't show recepts for and most nights we don't spend all of the money we are left with about 30$ left over. Can they do this to me.

View more questions Search