Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

May 5, 2010, 03:05 AM
    Bipolar compared to Schizophrenia
    It's been along time since I've been here... It's like coming back to a home you never lived in...

People with schizophrenia hear voices, see things, feel things, smell things, even taste things that simply aren't there... I'm bipolar and this is another form of Psychosis, but I wonder if my consistent negative thoughts and anger are more like the negative voices that a person suffering form Schizofrenia would here...

What if those voices are those same thoughts, but are given slightly more substance that the thoughts. It's said that you can change things with the way we think, but what if we loose contol of that? The meds help but don't cure it, and it never goes away. No matter how much you think a happy thought, if your feelings do not get better what then? The pain suffering you feel never leaves, never lessens, or if it does it causes more pain suffering for others. Grandiosity and mania are not exactly better...

Just wondering if this makes sense to any one... (Hey maybe the government should send students from universities to study some of us on here... Bet this site would provide some interesting resultes... )
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2010, 03:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestorian View Post
    It's been along time since i've been here... It's like coming back to a home you never lived in...

People with schizophrenia hear voices, see things, feel things, smell things, even taste things that simply aren't there... I'm bipolar and this is another form of Psychosis, but i wonder if my consistent negative thoughts and anger are more like the negative voices taht a person suffering form Schizofrenia would here...

What if those voices are those same thoughts, but are given slightly more substance that the thoughts. It's said that you can change things with the way we think, but what if we loose contol of that? the meds help but don't cure it, and it never goes away. no matter how much you think a happy thought, if your feelings do not get better what then? The pain suffering you feel never leaves, never lessens, or if it does it causes more pain suffering for others. Grandiosity and mania are not exactly better...

just wondering if this makes sense to any one... (Hey maybe the government should send students from universities to study some of us on here... Bet this site would provide some interesting resultes...)
    Hi! yes it has been a while since I have seen your name on the boards,welcome back:)

I can relate too much of what you are describing.Being bipolar as well,I feel the chaos you are describing.

Are things settled for you right now?Has something made you think differently lately?

May 5, 2010, 04:25 AM

You could say that the loss of my child, not to death through separation, has left me lost and weak, cold, heartless, angery, and empty, but not like depression of my bipolar. No this is different, it's more anger than empty dead inside. It's like a, tourturous, continuous pain that lays through life. I've talk to the doc and counsellers, either I get better, or I don't. There aren't enough beds for me to stay at the hospital. I'm not suicidal in that I will do everything for my child before I do that, as she may need me one day.

May 5, 2010, 04:26 AM

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/childr...on-468973.html

I'll refer you to this one...

Mind you I didn't intend them to be linked, they are quiet separate.

This one, curious about the link between bipolar and Schizo, and the link above, the loss of my child and how it's affecting me.

Thanks
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2010, 07:04 AM
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/childr...on-468973.html

....curious about the link between bipolar and Schizo, and the link above, the loss of my child and how it's affecting me.
    Psychiatric diagnosis is hit and miss at best. No where is this more apparent than diagnosis of bi-polar.

The symptoms of schizophrenia and schizo-affective disorder overlap with bi-polar, and of course, vice versa. Differential diagnosis is a pain-staking process and requires specific knowledge and experience, not simply reference to the Diagnostic Manual.

Bi-polar is an extremely difficult and perplexing illness. Misdiagnosis is the rule rather than exception. Proper diagnosis, from time of first medical presentation, is, on average, 9 years.

Diagnosis aside, if you are being treated for any condition and the treatment isn't working then you should question the diagnosis or the treatment and seek another opinion. Bi-polar patients, on average, seek assistance from 8+ doctors.

Following will acquaint you, in brief terms, with the conditions frequently misdiagnosed as bi-polar and also provides some excellent advice on locating a qualified practitioner.

Bipolar Focus: Bipolar Disorder & Manic Depression Diagnosis and Symptoms

You must not accept a medical/psychiatric diagnosis and/or treatment plan as a final assignment to misery. Seek additional opinions until you find effective treatment and relief.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2010, 09:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Psychiatric diagnosis is hit and miss at best. No where is this more apparent than diagnosis of bi-polar.

The symptoms of schizophrenia and schizo-affective disorder overlap with bi-polar, and of course, vice versa. Differential diagnosis is a pain-staking process and requires specific knowledge and experience, not simply reference to the Diagnostic Manual.

Bi-polar is an extremely difficult and perplexing illness. Misdiagnosis is the rule rather than exception. Proper diagnosis, from time of first medical presentation, is, on average, 9 years.

Diagnosis aside, if you are being treated for any condition and the treatment isn't working then you should question the diagnosis or the treatment and seek another opinion. Bi-polar patients, on average, seek assistance from 8+ doctors.

Following will acquaint you, in brief terms, with the conditions frequently misdiagnosed as bi-polar and also provides some excellent advice on locating a qualified practitioner.

Bipolar Focus: Bipolar Disorder & Manic Depression Diagnosis and Symptoms

You must not accept a medical/psychiatric diagnosis and/or treatment plan as a final assignment to misery. Seek additional opinions until you find effective treatment and relief.
    Say's I have to spread the rep to others before I can give you more, you have again stated very good advice and direction,I am glad you are along with us here:)
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2010, 09:50 PM
    You could say that the loss of my child, not to death through seperation, has left me lost and weak, cold, heartless, angery, and empty, but not like depression of my bipolar. No this is different, it's more anger than empty dead inside. It's like a, tourturous, continuous pain that lays through life. I've talk to the doc and counsellers, either I get better, or I don't. There arn't enough beds for me to stay at the hospital. I'm not suicidal in that I will do everything for my child before I do that, as she may need me one day.
    Between this post and your others...

How stable do you think you are right now?How do you think others see you at this time,no,not at work,not at the counselors(where you 'act' like everything is ok),but the REAL you?

I am very keen to the bi-polar behavior you are describing,I totally understand the frustration you are feeling(as I have been through much the same in my past),, but how we present ourselves,even TO OURSELVES,needs to be looked at.

See my signature line,Perception is fine,not yours but mine~ Narcissist's handbook.

By reading your posts,here and on the other thread,what do you think OUR perception is about how you are(mentally)?In my opinion,I am concerned with your fleeting thoughts,your expression of un-vented anger,your reluctance to hear what others are trying to offer you(on the legal board)

My solution to my situation like yours,eventually ended up with acceptance(although it took many failures to get there),I had to accept that I couldn't change the situation while I was unstable,while there was so much pain and anger that I wasn't thinking clearly.

Can you take a timeout, for your own good?Can you take the time to slow down,to gather your resources,to get right with the world?This,above all,I suggest with all sincerity.No excuses about bed space at the hospital(I believe you need time to sound things out with professionals,get regular meals,set times for sleep,to be around a safe atmosphere.

Does this make sense to you?I sure hope it does,I am only trying to help you.

KBC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Schizophrenia... bipolar? [ 10 Answers ]

Before I go and get myself labelled as schizophrenic or bipolar or whatever, I wanted to have some idea what this sounds like to others... maybe I should just keep this to myself and suffer in silence. I was diagnosed with a dissociative disorder but recently realized that I have been having some...

Schizophrenia an leases [ 1 Answers ]

Hey all. This is my first post, and I don't know you guys so please don't be mean I'll cry lol. Ok here's the deal I used to live in Assissted living places because I have a hard time taking care of myself. I have disorganized Schizophrenia. That's a mix of paranoid and something else. Well...

Symptom of schizophrenia? [ 16 Answers ]

I have a friend, 20 years old, who was working very hard. But recently, we found him a bit different, and he keeps telling us that someone's going to kill him, and he tries to escape from any one who want to contact him. Is that a sympton of schizophrenia? We're very afraid of that now ~~ ...

New Approach to Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder [ 7 Answers ]

-----------PLEASE READ------------ We appreciate a wide variety of opinions, but we cannot permit and therefore encourage suggesting that a person follow any users medical advice without the advice of their doctor - and or foregoing any other medical advice; particularly that of the asker's own...

Schizophrenia? [ 20 Answers ]

For the past few months I think I have been going crazy. I hear things that arnt really there. (Voices and sounds) I have a friend that lives with me who is really nice and stuff but my parents don't even know she is there. They totally ignore her. And I am totally afraid of the dark and I don't...

View more questions Search